Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Old 1.x versions usage (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

Old 1.x versions usage

Looking at crash report statistics, I have noticed that lots of people still use version 1.6.16, that is last 1.6.x before 2.0.
I understand that some just don't want 2.x features, that's why I made version 1.6.17 - in September 2023 - with important bug fixes - most notably fixes for libwebp exploits. Unfortunately, few people seem to have noticed it, 1.6.16 is still way more popular.
If you're on 1.6.x, please make sure you have the latest iteration of it. Really.

That said, if there are any special wishes for bug fixes (not feature updates) to be backported to 1.6 or 1.5 series, please post them here.
I'm considering backporting of Windows Imaging Component interop from 2.x to 1.6 to get rid of libwebp entirely, then you can't see webp covers on old systems but don't have to worry about updating libwebp with security fixes.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: Old 1.x versions usage

Reply #1
Thank you, @Peter.

I remember the day when I first installed 2.* and immediately felt out of place. Why? Because you broke changed the way portable works  — it is no longer possible to put the player in the custom folder, remove portable_mode_enabled file and (temporary) associate the player with audio files within Shell Integration page, keeping the profile in that folder as well. Users of audio forums were forced to invent tricks like using Windows junction points and writing batch scripts with tons of reg commands to simulate previous behavior. The irony is that there are more customization options like ReFacets (which I hadn't used before, preferring simplicity), but at the same time, you ignored the long-standing habit and imposed a new way of installation. Perfect is the enemy of good, as they say.

Personally, I expected improving the documentation of existing functions (right there, at least in the form of tooltips) in order to reduce anxiety and make the best use of Foobar2000. For example, ReplayGain page is still a mystery, why mono files sound quieter, what is… fast DSP reset, flush playback queue, MMCSS, which music formats are affected by “slow but accurate seeking”, what and where are “dead items” and when is it time to remove them, etc.
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #2
It's not only about bugfixes or not needing v2 features, but as reported by people being forced to use 32 bit versions yet, v2 forces caching of all tags and it can not be set to skip caching of specific ones. Thus it crashes on big libraries in some cases, as soon as you got lyrics or fingerprints, or things which don't need to be cached at all (for queries usage, etc.).

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125541.0.html

Therefore I'm stuck with v1.6, which allows to manage the mem usage for specific tags if needed.

There is also a recurring crash when trying to play missing/dead files on a playlist, at least in v1.6. Which surely accounts for many of my reports.

EDIT: Btw, until this post, I didn't knew there was a 1.6.17 version. It's currrently so hidden on the download page that most people will simply not notice there is a new (old) version.

Reply #3
That said, if there are any special wishes for bug fixes (not feature updates) to be backported to 1.6 or 1.5 series, please post them here.

The ITUNESCOMPILATION value of zero bug, fixed in 1.6.13, was reported both before and after the 1.5.11 release.  But I guess that if a 1.5.12 is on the table, then 1.6 bugfixes will be committed anyway?

Reply #4
Please do not debate my design decisions or your specific foobar2000 v2.0+ annoyances here.
If there are known bugs in old versions, please post them replying to this topic.
Thanks for understanding.

There is also a recurring crash when trying to play missing/dead files on a playlist, at least in v1.6. Which surely accounts for many of my reports.
Can you please share specific crash log+dump from your computer please? I'm having trouble identifying relevant reports. Can the problem be reproduced on a clean portable install?

The ITUNESCOMPILATION value of zero bug, fixed in 1.6.13, was reported both before and after the 1.5.11 release.  But I guess that if a 1.5.12 is on the table, then 1.6 bugfixes will be committed anyway?
OK, merged both ITUNESCOMPILATION fixes to 1.5.x source, will release 1.5.12 with these fixes eventually.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.