Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD WavPack files with different codec values? (Read 1120 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD WavPack files with different codec values?

Hi, yesterday I was adding a new SACD album to my music library and I noticed this in the properties dialog:

X

File on the left (codec DSD64) is from the new album and the one on the right (codec WavPack) was added like a year ago. As can be seen, the values in the "codec profile", "bits per sample" and other fields are also different, and the sample rate of the "WavPack" file shows (I suppose) a PCM equivalent to the DSD original sample rate. But the thing is, both are WavPack files and I used the exact same method to create them from an orginal ISO image, that is:

Extract DSF files from ISO using iso2dsd > Convert resulting DSF files to WavPack using BatchEncoder

Every new DSD file added to my library using the same method now appears with DSD64 as codec value instead of WavPack, like before. Anyone knows why this happens? Is it harmless or it could be problematic in some playback condition?

Thanks!

Re: DSD WavPack files with different codec values?

Reply #1
While you may get answers here, this question might be better suited to the WavPack forum (not so much about foobar)

Reply #2
The screenshots make it look like a difference in how fb2k displays them. In that case it is fb2k-specific.

Obvious first debugging to see if there is something odd about the files:
* Make a new folder with copies of the WavPack files
* wvunpack them
* open the unpacked .dsf in fb2k, ffmpeg -i them ... to check for anything suspicious
* WavPack them with 5.0 and with the newest 5.5 and check that 5.0 and 5.5 look the same in fb2k for each file. (First shot: just drag and drop them onto wavpack.exe - it won't use the "high", but it is good to check.)

Reply #3
The screenshots make it look like a difference in how fb2k displays them. In that case it is fb2k-specific.

Obvious first debugging to see if there is something odd about the files:
* Make a new folder with copies of the WavPack files
* wvunpack them
* open the unpacked .dsf in fb2k, ffmpeg -i them ... to check for anything suspicious
* WavPack them with 5.0 and with the newest 5.5 and check that 5.0 and 5.5 look the same in fb2k for each file. (First shot: just drag and drop them onto wavpack.exe - it won't use the "high", but it is good to check.)

I did this, the files don't have anything weird and both the 5.0 and 5.5 files showed DSD64 as codec value. I think fb2k just displays them differently for some reason. Also, during playback my DAC shows a DSD64 output with both files.
Finally, I moved all my WavPacked DSD files to another directory, restarted fb2k and then added them manually one by one to my music folder, now every DSD file has DSD64 as codec value. Still don't know why that happened but at least this way seems to be ok.

Reply #4
Finally, I moved all my WavPacked DSD files to another directory, restarted fb2k and then added them manually one by one to my music folder, now every DSD file has DSD64 as codec value. Still don't know why that happened but at least this way seems to be ok.

Oh. If you still have any of them where they were - it looks like you don't - then maybe reloading from tags would have worked.

I can only guess the reason that Peter has chosen to represent them as "352800", but DSD is often converted from so-called "DXD". DXD is not DSD, it is PCM 352.8/24, and the buzzword was probably invented to look like "DSD".