Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggestions on buying portable players (Read 2306 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggestions on buying portable players

Hi 

I'm going to order a portable CD player in 30 days... So I have some questions/doubts
  about choosing the best player for my purposes

1. Firmware upgradable player so It may support OGG/MusePack in the future
  2. As slim as possible.
  3. Best sound quality
  5. Ability to drive Koss PortaPro perfectly and Grado SR-80 acceptably.
  4. I can pay up to 200 USD for it.

As far as I know, iRiver iMP-400 fulfills these conditions perfectly.

Q1: What are the closest alternatives (or even better alts) to iRiver iMP players?

Q2: iRiver iMP-550 has a RISC CPU, greater battrey life, slimmer in all dimensions,
  greater buffer in comparison to iMP-400.

Is it currenly publicly available?
  or will it be released in a month?
  How much does it/will it cost?

Q3: I want to order it online and ship it to US. Which site offers best prices?

Any comment is well appreciated

Thanks in advance,
  Mehrtash

Reply #1
I have read reviews of MPIO's latest the CL100 which suggest it is a not bad alternative to the iRiver, slightly cheaper in the UK  as well if you can get your hands on one !! Try a google search.

I have an iRiver iMP 400 and am very happy with it, I don't think you could go far wrong with one of these although the iMP 550 does look like a great player.

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply

Any other comments?

Cheers,
Mehrtash