Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name (Read 65064 times) previous topic - next topic

Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name

Reply #125
Yes.

It was TAK before it was YALAC.  It has probably always been TAK to Tom.

I like it.  I can spell it.

And i can even count the letters! One more and i would be in trouble.

Reply #126
In my opinion TAK sounds a bit meaningless, and the collision with .TAC isn't a good thing.

But I like the alternative TOBAK (Tom Beck Audio Kompressor) which was suggested above. "Tobak" is a very rarely used German word, it is only found in the expression "starker Tobak", which (according to dict.leo.org) means "strong meat" (literally it is "strong tobacco"). In my opinion, this "hidden" meaning is an attractive allusion to the strengths of this new lossless audio compressor.

If there are reservations about a five letter file extension, there is still the possibility to use some abbreviation of TOBAK like .TAK (with the .TAC collision problem) or .TBAK or .TBK or whatever, but to call the compressor TOBAK when it isn't about file extensions.

TBeck stated earlier that he hopes to get some reputation out of his lossless codec. In this respect, TOBAK is also better than TAK, because "Tom Beck Audio Kompressor" hardly needs a further explanation, while "Tom's Audio Kompressor" does.

Of course this is only my opinion, there will always be people who don't like the final decision.

Reply #127
Yeah. That's a nifty and intelligent name and it hit straight my ear. I'd vote for

Let's see how the english-only speakers like that name.

>>> TOBAK <<<

And it would be pronounced VERY similar to Tom Beck in English.

To(m)beck --> Tobak

Reply #128
I prefer TAK, although it still lacks something to me. (OMG ABX PLZ!!)

Reply #129
Here's my contribution (in order of personal preference) :

- TomPack with *.tpk extension. Just your first name with the famous postfix "Pack" (Musepack / Wavpack)
- HydroPack  with *.hyp extension. A    to HA.
- SoundStretch with *.sos extension
WavPack 4.31 -hm

Reply #130
- SoundStretch with *.sos extension

SoundStretch? More like SoundShrink!
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #131
Optimized Audio / *.OA, Optimized Lossless Audio (Compression) *.OLAC - unfortunateson

i still like mine the most

To me, tak and its variations sound a bit...well, tacky.

Reply #133
for me
YAA or Yaa! "Ye (maybe "Your" is better) Audio Archiver"

It's simple, prononcable, not so far from YALAC.

and it's close to Wii (the nintendo's consol) 

I don't know if it's too late to post here. But...

Yeah!  . When I listened for the first time "YALAC" I thought "YA, that's a great lossless cc". and I don't think in that moment if I confuse it with ALAC. It's clear when you pronunce it "iaalac" and not "eilak" .
If beleive to comparisons then YALAC will be Bomb codec. It is fast as FLAC and  compression is good as APE High.

Reply #134
How about AFC? April Fool's Codec.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #135
And the winner is... TAK!

Thanks for all your effort! I really like many of your proposals, some possibly even more than TAK. But unfortunately some names seem to be more likely to bring me into conflict with existing trademarks.

For now TAK seems to be quite safe.

If some trademark owner should knock at my door, we may have to continue this thread. But i hope, that this will not happen...

Thomas