Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RazorLame help (Read 25672 times) previous topic - next topic

RazorLame help

Reply #50
Please read my post again. No application will edit FLAC or other lossless files directly. They must be decompressed, edited and recompressed. Whether the program does so automatically or requires the user to provide a decompressed version makes absolutely no difference to sound quality. Lossless is lossless.

RazorLame help

Reply #51
Please read my post again. No application will edit FLAC or other lossless files directly. They must be decompressed, edited and recompressed. Whether the program does so automatically or requires the user to provide a decompressed version makes absolutely no difference to sound quality. Lossless is lossless.

Too much of a novice I guess.  Ok, can't edit FLAC.  I rip Abbey Road to MP3 using EAC/LAME.  I bring the Golden Slumbers tunes into an editor, remove all of the gaps then reencode them again to MP3 as one file to accomplish a smooth transition of the song which will eventually be burned to a CD which will play in my car.  Can I accomplish this without losing the sound quality I obtained with the original, aforementioned ripping process?

RazorLame help

Reply #52
Do NOT use mp3 as any kind of intermediate step. Use only lossles, such as wav, until the very last step, which is to encode to mp3 if that is what you you need. If the target is an audio CD, as opposed to an mp3 CD, then burn that directly from the lossless file, not from mp3.

RazorLame help

Reply #53
My target is a MP3 CD.

RazorLame help

Reply #54
I do not think Audacity will either.

It does support FLAC.

Since you seem to have difficulty understanding the general principles that have been explained, I'll spell it out this way: You can import FLAC files, merge them, then export again to FLAC or straight to MP3 without the quality loss you'd get if you had started with an MP3 file.

You could skip the FLAC encoding step, and just rip to WAV to do the editing before encoding to MP3. The FLAC step would add a little encoding and decoding time, but has the advantage of preserving the tag metadata from EAC. If you rip to WAV, the metadata would be lost and you would have to tag the MP3's after the fact. Whichever way you find more convenient is fine, as long as lossy MP3 encoding is only the last step.

RazorLame help

Reply #55
Do NOT use mp3 as any kind of intermediate step. Use only lossles, such as wav, until the very last step, which is to encode to mp3 if that is what you you need. If the target is an audio CD, as opposed to an mp3 CD, then burn that directly from the lossless file, not from mp3.

As a test, I used EAC to rip a tune to WAV.  No settings changes in EAC were made, I just hit the WAV button in the left margin.  I then opened the new WAV file in Roxio's Sound Editor.  I edited the file then saved it, again as a WAV file but, of course, using Roxio.  I then took the newly edited WAV file and dragged it over to Lamedrop and converted it to MP3.

Have I lost any sound quality using this process?  Is there a difference in the quality of a WAV file created in one software program over another?  Or is a WAV a WAV no matter the source?

If this is a good process to use, it would facilitate merging the Beatles tunes that are originally gapless and burning them in that state to a MP3 CD.

Thanks

RazorLame help

Reply #56
As long as "edited the file" only means joining together multiple wav files into a single file, with no other processing, then there is no loss in quality.

RazorLame help

Reply #57
As long as "edited the file" only means joining together multiple wav files into a single file, with no other processing, then there is no loss in quality.

Bingo!  Thanks for your patience.