Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CoolOgg could go GT3b1! (Read 6749 times) previous topic - next topic

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Many of you have probably heard of a wonderful audio editor Cool Edit Pro, which is now known as Adobe Audition. Peter Pawlowski wrote Ogg Vorbis filter for it. And I wonder if anyone will ever update this filter to GT3b1. I mean, it is not a secret that pure Vorbis has a quality issue at level 5 and over, whereas Sjeng's version fixes it. CoolOgg is open source.

So, maybe any of you could compile a GT3-enabled filter? I would love to do it myself, but I'm too far from programming and compiling.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #1
I hope you know that latest version isn't called CoolOgg anymore but cool_vorbis. I compiled another version that uses GT3b1 library, download cool_vorbis_gt3b1.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #2
Case, thank you very much for the links.

The GT3b1 filter works smooth. But you could make a small improvement though. I'm talking about a slider. In the Cool Ogg filter, if you click to the left or to the right of the scroller, it rewinds or forwards by 1.00. It is very comfortable. I often have to choose different quality values, like 2 and 5. So 3 clicks to the left of the scroller on the 5.00 position, and it becomes 2.00. But your filter will rewind by 2.20.

Could you change the 2.20 increment value to 1.00?

And what happened to the new version of Vorbis? Quality 5 used to equal 160kbps nominal bitrate. Now it's 180. Is that an enhancement?

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #3
Could you change the 2.20 increment value to 1.00?

Done. I also updated cool_vorbis to 1.0.1 libraries.

And what happened to the new version of Vorbis? Quality 5 used to equal 160kbps nominal bitrate. Now it's 180. Is that an enhancement?

Higher bitrate comes from Garf's tunings. It's the price to pay for improved quality.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #4
The compiles at Rarewares have been updated using Case's updated code.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #5
John33, please rename your dll to cool_vorbis.dll, otherwise it is possible to have two version of it installed (happened to me today).

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #6
John33, please rename your dll to cool_vorbis.dll, otherwise it is possible to have two version of it installed (happened to me today).

dev0

Done and uploaded again.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #7
Dev0 should have been more careful... I had removed the unnecessary 'cool_' prefix from filter names and names are simply 'vorbis.flt' and 'vorbis_gt3b1.flt'.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #8
Dev0 should have been more careful... I had removed the unnecessary 'cool_' prefix from filter names and names are simply 'vorbis.flt' and 'vorbis_gt3b1.flt'.

Aaaaaaargh!!!  I'll change them again very soon!

Edit: Recompiled and uploaded again.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #9
John! I've used your GT3 compile of Cool Vorbis for some time now. And I must say, that it has two disadvantages comparing to the Cool Edit Ogg Vorbis File Filter by James Chapman, available here:

1) It doesn't open a file, if it is being played by Winamp for example
2) It doesn't have Standard RIFF text fields support

Do you think you could upgrade Cool Vorbis?

And by the way, why doesn't Rarewares includes your compiles that work without the extra libmmd.dll?

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #10
John! I've used your GT3 compile of Cool Vorbis for some time now. And I must say, that it has two disadvantages comparing to the Cool Edit Ogg Vorbis File Filter by James Chapman, available here:

1) It doesn't open a file, if it is being played by Winamp for example
2) It doesn't have Standard RIFF text fields support

Do you think you could upgrade Cool Vorbis?

I'll look at that before replying!! 
And by the way, why doesn't Rarewares includes your compiles that work without the extra libmmd.dll?

Because the ICL(Intel) compiles execute faster and I think there is a somewhat excessive number of d/l options already.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #11
Hello,

thank you for the new filters, but all files I Load are in 32bit now... anyone else got these problem ?

Ciao ZYron

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #12
all files I Load are in 32bit now... anyone else got these problem ?

That's how it is supposed to work. It decodes to floating point to avoid rounding errors and clipping for maximum quality.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #13
That's how it is supposed to work. It decodes to floating point to avoid rounding errors and clipping for maximum quality.

ok ... now it works, my Soundcard can not work with 4-Byte IEEE Float, so I have to change the mode how 32Bit data should played in Cooledit.

Anyway the ICL7.1 compile at rarewares still can not decode files >2GB so now with 32bit at 44.1K 2Channels max filesize is reached at about 100 Minutes.

The MSVC6 SP6 compile of aoTuVb2 build however does not have this
limitation. Perhaps John33 should compile all builds with MSVC6.
And I should get a bigger Harddisk now. 

Ciao & Thank You ZYron

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #14

ok ... now it works, my Soundcard can not work with 4-Byte IEEE Float, so I have to change the mode how 32Bit data should played in Cooledit.

Anyway the ICL7.1 compile at rarewares still can not decode files >2GB so now with 32bit at 44.1K 2Channels max filesize is reached at about 100 Minutes.

The MSVC6 SP6 compile of aoTuVb2 build however does not have this
limitation. Perhaps John33 should compile all builds with MSVC6.
And I should get a bigger Harddisk now. 

Ciao & Thank You ZYron

I'll post some in the next day or two for you to test.

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #15
can anybody please update it to GT3b2 please? :-)

Does anybody know, why the build "Xiph.Org/Sjeng.Org libVorbis I 20020717 (GTune 3, beta 1" on my P4 3,4 GHz takes more than 30 seconds?
The command-line version (ICL 7.1) takes only 12 seconds for the same WAV.

The older build "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20031230" took only 17 seconds.

OOps ... I just saw that the file I've downloaded in this thread is older,
than the "libVorbis I" one...

What is the latest?
I'm a little bit confused now 

Cya
Tobias

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #16
Yes... Can someone build the GT3b2... please...

Thx !!!

CoolOgg could go GT3b1!

Reply #17
Isn't what you are looking for is on Rarewares?