Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Electric shocks to the tongue can quiet chronic ringing ears (Read 1274 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric shocks to the tongue can quiet chronic ringing ears

Tinnitus—a constant ringing or buzzing in the ears that affects about 15% of people—is difficult to understand and even harder to treat. Now, scientists have shown shocking the tongue—combined with a carefully designed sound program—can reduce symptoms of the disorder, not just while patients are being treated, but up to 1 year later.
~ https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10/electric-shocks-tongue-can-quiet-chronic-ringing-ears
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Electric shocks to the tongue can quiet chronic ringing ears

Reply #1
When he inserted a pencil-size rod covered in electrodes directly into the brains of five patients, some of those electrodes landed slightly outside the target zone—a common problem with deep brain stimulation, Lim says. Later, when he started up the device to map out its effects on the brain, a patient who had been bothered by ringing ears for many years, said, “Oh, my tinnitus! I can’t hear my tinnitus,” Lim recalls.

This is what I want: a DBS electrode to knock out the area of my brain/auditory cortex producing the tinnitus.

Re: Electric shocks to the tongue can quiet chronic ringing ears

Reply #2
Why not making the best of both worlds and saying your tinnitus goodbye whilst learning your ropes on electronics, by performing the wacky tongue experiment* shown on Charles Platt's iconic book? (fig. 1-16) :))

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=PQzYdC3BtQkC&hl=en_US&pg=GBS.PA5

* Which involves licking up a 9-volt battery, but one can always "upgrade" to a higher-voltage one - just sayin'!

Edit: in case Google Books's georestrictions don't send you to the right page (and since it's on a free sample):

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução