Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: if wavepack (crc) says its lossless --< is that really true? (Read 5259 times) previous topic - next topic

if wavepack (crc) says its lossless --< is that really true?

I have checked the whole score with adobe audition (Spectral Analys) and it does look lossless but sometimes its hard to tell.

The rip in question is Return of the king Complete Recordings 4 cds .. Format: WV (Wavepack)

Theres no .wc though

I ran a crc check in wv and it said "all files confirmed lossless" <-- but shouldnt there be a wc in order for it to be lossless??

Also shouldnt wavepack inform me if the file output is lossy in the end?

Reply #1
I don't know which version of WavPack you are using, but the current 4.41 does not use WC for the correction file.

WavPack is a hybrid encoder only when specified. A WV is lossless by default. In hybrid mode, WavPack creates a high-bitrate lossy file, WV, and then a correction file, WVC, to make the lossy file lossless again.

You have lossless WV.

Now, if you use hybrid mode and remove the WVC from the directory and run the test command, it will yield a different MD5 (not CRC) of the original lossless data. Put the WVC back in the directory and run that same test, WavPack automatically knows to check for a WVC, and it will confirm the WV is lossless (with the help of that WVC).
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #2
I don't know which version of WavPack you are using, but the current 4.41 does not use WC for the correction file.

WavPack is a hybrid encoder only when specified. A WV is lossless by default. In hybrid mode, WavPack creates a high-bitrate lossy file, WV, and then a correction file, WVC, to make the lossy file lossless again.

You have lossless WV.

Now, if you use hybrid mode and remove the WVC from the directory and run the test command, it will yield a different MD5 (not CRC) of the original lossless data. Put the WVC back in the directory and run that same test, WavPack automatically knows to check for a WVC, and it will confirm the WV is lossless (with the help of that WVC).

wavpack-4.41.. That's the one im using right now!

I understand what you're saying SamHain86, thanks to your post

Thanks again dude!