Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: latest libVorbis encoder (Read 5282 times) previous topic - next topic

latest libVorbis encoder

I just had a quick question about using the latest Vorbis encoder:

I'm doing some general ABX tests among the latest audio formats, and on Rarewares' Vorbis download page it lists several processor-optimized builds of the latest libVorbis encoder... considering I'm working with the current Core 2 Duo processor, my assumption would be that the P4-optimized build would be my best bet (since it and the Core 2 Duo are SSE2-based processors), but I figured this would be the best place to check, just in case.  thanks in advance!
Archive- FLAC (-v 8)
Portable- QuickTime AAC (True VBR/-q 77)

latest libVorbis encoder

Reply #1
wait do u mean? are your testing oggenc binaries that are compiled using the xiph libraries or the actual libraries themselves? if u want the best bet check out the 64built build of aotuv branch of vorbis which gives better quality(assuming your using 64bit OS) if not yea just get the p4 optimized build...
http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/oggenc64-aoTuVb5.7-P4.zip

latest libVorbis encoder

Reply #2
considering I'm working with the current Core 2 Duo processor, my assumption would be that the P4-optimized build would be my best bet

Try it out yourself and you'll see the speed differences within minutes, it's a a lot faster than waiting for answers.

latest libVorbis encoder

Reply #3
Try it out yourself and you'll see the speed differences within minutes, it's a a lot faster than waiting for answers.

well, that's actually what I ended up doing, and I did notice that the P4-optimized build was significantly faster than the General build even before hearing back from anyone here, but the reason I still threw the question out there was in case there was a more highly-optimized build available other than the ones on Rarewares... I'm still pretty new to Vorbis, so I'm not as familiar with the format/encoders as a lot of people on this board are going to be- hence why I'm asking questions now .
Archive- FLAC (-v 8)
Portable- QuickTime AAC (True VBR/-q 77)