Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony BMG's copy protection shows rootkit-behavior (Read 68005 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony BMG's copy protection shows rootkit-behavior

Reply #75
I don't have autorun enabled...I just double checked my registry too and its set to 0 like I thought.
I also saw a new line in there though....
Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> ControlSet001 -> Services -> Cdrom
called AutoRunAlwaysDisable with a bunch of listings for drives I dont have
Here's data listing for it
Code: [Select]
NEC     MBR-7   
NEC     MBR-7.4
PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X
PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X
PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X
TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36

JXL

Reply #76
To make sure it's disabled, check under CurrentControlSet rather than ControlSet001.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](most of the time, it's probably the same, but I can never be too sure...)[/span]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

Anyway, that AutoRunAlwaysDisable key, I think it's normal.

Reply #77
Ya, I changed it to '0' on all 3 tabs Control001, Control003, & CurrentControlSet just to be safe.

I still can't do anything with the cd though.  It will go to about 1% and then start doing constant read and sync errors no matter what I do or which drive I run it on.
Stupid Sony...

Correction...I can rip it with the oh so great WMP 
Lets see how windows media lossless sounds at the highest settings.

Haha...omg this is so retarded its funny.  It was nothing but skips and little bits of the actual music.  Thought I might get a seizure or some shiz...

Reply #78
I still can't do anything with the cd though.  It will go to about 1% and then start doing constant read and sync errors no matter what I do or which drive I run it on.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347492"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some protected CDs won't work well w/ EAC's Secure Mode.
Try Fast or even Burst Mode.
The same thing happened w/ my copy of Coldplay - X&Y, but Fast Mode did its job.

Anyway, have Sony released a real remover of its rootkitted DRM?

Reply #79
Nope, burst and fast mode didn't work either.  The sound still cuts in and out like it did with the WMP rips.  Just going to take the CD back tomorrow and tell them to set fire to it...

Reply #80
Well, if you're actually patient enough, you might get proper rips out of it.
When Secure Mode is very slow due to the (very) frequent read & sync error, just let it finish.
Sometimes the resulting rip'd sound just fine; try it w/ ripping a track first, not the whole album rightaway.
I had one of those 'hard-to-rip' Audio CDs that behaved like that.

And OMG, I'm really getting OOT here...sorry guys... =/

Reply #81
Hehe...it's all good people have been asking about this in the thread.  Thanks for the info though.  I'll give secure mode another try and see how it turns out.
JXL

Reply #82
It's just that I'm afraid to tick someone off by getting somewhat OOT.

Well, any way, good luck.
If it turns out bad, you can always try analogue recording...

Reply #83
Just found this artile from yesterday over on the BBC site. May be of interest to people

LINK

Kristian

Reply #84
And don't forget to read Mark's blog, people. =)

Reply #85
As for notifying consumers of the problem, Ben Edelman has researched the phone-home behavior of the Sony Player software that comes on the CDs and found that, if it wanted, Sony could inform every infected customer that a recall is in place.

oh dear... together with the rootkit behaviour.... wouldn't that basically mean that sony made it so that they could hijack any PC which has the DRM installed, if they wanted to? Boys, if one year ago, someone would have warned about such a thing happening .... most would have called him a "paranoid conspiracy-freak".

Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #86
... together with the rootkit behaviour.... wouldn't that basically mean that sony made it so that they could hijack any PC which has the DRM installed, if they wanted to? ... [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348969"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly.
That's why any 'victory declaration' should be postponed until Sony BMG really undo all of their mishaps.

~likeThatWouldHappen...

Reply #87
"Free downloads end Sony CD saga 

Millions of music fans will be given free music downloads or money to compensate for flawed anti-piracy software on CDs from label Sony BMG "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5007578.stm

Reply #89
This is really interesting. But I can't find out how I'd claim the compensation for the Velvet Revolver cd I bought a while ago. Has anyone got any more info?

Reply #90
This is really interesting. But I can't find out how I'd claim the compensation for the Velvet Revolver cd I bought a while ago. Has anyone got any more info?

Email sony, let them do the work, the more customer support they have to give for their wrong doing the better.