Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2238724 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3200
So far so good with the iPod Touch 4G. Works like a charm.

Reply #3201
I don't understand how the "Sort Artist" and "Sort Album Artist" works.  I'm not familiar with them, but I thought that they'd overwrite what the artist is displayed as in the "Artist" menu where you browse the music.  I was thinking that this would be useful as a workaround for the iPod's lack of "album artist" tag (as far as I can tell on my 5G iPod Video anyway).  ie, I could sort all of Paul McCartney's solo/Wings work just under "Paul McCartney."  But I haven't been able to do that.  Am I doing something wrong/not understanding the feature correctly?

Thanks.

Reply #3202
hey musicmusic, thanks for a great & often used component.

however, i appear to have come across an issue today.
im not to sure how long it has been happening as i only noticed today, but when i connect my iPod & sync/rewrite database, my playback stats & ratings are no longer imported.
does anybody else have this issue? sorry i can't be more specific with when it started.

using foobar 1.1, foo_dop 0.6.8.3 & foo_playcount 3.0

if you require any more info, please dont hesitate to ask.
thank you for your time

EDIT: it would appear that wtstommy also has this issue, sorry to bring it up again. all i can do is confirm the same behaviour

Reply #3203
hey musicmusic, thanks for a great & often used component.

however, i appear to have come across an issue today.
im not to sure how long it has been happening as i only noticed today, but when i connect my iPod & sync/rewrite database, my playback stats & ratings are no longer imported.
does anybody else have this issue? sorry i can't be more specific with when it started.

using foobar 1.1, foo_dop 0.6.8.3 & foo_playcount 3.0

if you require any more info, please dont hesitate to ask.
thank you for your time

EDIT: it would appear that wtstommy also has this issue, sorry to bring it up again. all i can do is confirm the same behaviour

Another small issue here, too - audioscrobbling to last.fm no longer seems to work...

Reply #3204
I don't know if it's just me, but with the latest build with iPod Touch 4G, ticking/unticking "Ignore leading The 'The' and 'A'......" makes no difference. It ignores the leading "The" so for instance The Hidden Cameras appears under H, instead of T like I want.

Reply #3205
OK, I've put up version 0.6.8.4, it should work OK with iPod touch 4G and iPhone 4 in combination with iPhoneCalc.dll.

Indeed it does.  Tears of joy.

It's way way faster too than iTunes. And on the fly transcoding. (Didn't know about foo_pod before.)

You, sir, are seriously awesome!

Reply #3206
I don't understand how the "Sort Artist" and "Sort Album Artist" works.  I'm not familiar with them, but I thought that they'd overwrite what the artist is displayed as in the "Artist" menu where you browse the music.  I was thinking that this would be useful as a workaround for the iPod's lack of "album artist" tag (as far as I can tell on my 5G iPod Video anyway).  ie, I could sort all of Paul McCartney's solo/Wings work just under "Paul McCartney."  But I haven't been able to do that.  Am I doing something wrong/not understanding the feature correctly?

Thanks.
Well they work the same as the same metadata fields in iTunes, you are only remapping them.

The artist field/remapping is what you'd expect - that is how the artist is displayed everywhere, as well as how it is grouped on the artist menu.

Sort artist strictly controls the order on any artist lists - it doesn't affect the artist displayed nor how they are grouped.

I don't know if it's just me, but with the latest build with iPod Touch 4G, ticking/unticking "Ignore leading The 'The' and 'A'......" makes no difference. It ignores the leading "The" so for instance The Hidden Cameras appears under H, instead of T like I want.
Sounds like something I did knowingly - sorting is handled different in iOS 4... Anyway, as a workaround just populating the sort remappings with the normal values ([%artist%] etc.) should do the job (don't forget 'Update metadata').

Reply #3207
My stats and ratings also do not carry over on rewrite database.  Foobar 1.1, foo_dop 0.6.8.4, iphone 4 4.1.  It still is great to be able to sync though.  Much thanks!

Reply #3208
i get this error when starting foobar:

ipod manager: failed to query registry for apple application support directory - the system cannot find the file specified.

windows 7 x64, foobar 1.1, foo_dop 0.6.8.4, ios 4.1, iPhoneCalc.dll from mediamonkey 3.2.2.1300 in fb directory.

Any ideas?

Reply #3209
ipod manager: failed to query registry for apple application support directory- the system cannot find the file specified.

windows 7 x64, foobar 1.1, foo_dop 0.6.8.4, ios 4.1, iPhoneCalc.dll from mediamonkey 3.2.2.1300 in fb directory.

Quote from: Fangs404 link=msg=0 date=
Awesome!  Thanks for the 0.6.8.4 update.  It seems to work just fine with my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1.  I went ahead and uploaded the correct iPhoneCalc.dll so that others don't need to get MediaMonkey to get it.

http://drop.io/m1ttxdv/asset/iphonecalc-dll
hint: the download link is in red on the right, took me a second to find it.

However, if you're using a device earlier than the iphone 4, etc, just use foo_dop v0.6.8.3 which doesn't require iPhoneCalc.dll.

Reply #3210
hint: the download link is in red on the right, took me a second to find it.

However, if you're using a device earlier than the iphone 4, etc, just use foo_dop v0.6.8.3 which doesn't require iPhoneCalc.dll.

Thanks for the reply... However, I still get the same error with that dll...  And yes, iphone 4 

Reply #3211

Thanks.
Well they work the same as the same metadata fields in iTunes, you are only remapping them.

The artist field/remapping is what you'd expect - that is how the artist is displayed everywhere, as well as how it is grouped on the artist menu.

Sort artist strictly controls the order on any artist lists - it doesn't affect the artist displayed nor how they are grouped.

Thanks for the reply.  I was basically looking for an "album artist" feature and the ipod still lacks that (which is ridiculous).  I was hoping "sort artist" would be a way to do that.  I guess not.  I'm using the "composer" on the ipod as an "album artist."  It works but isn't the most intuitive thing.

Reply #3212
Wow... Absolutely outstanding plug-in. I have been looking for something like this for a long time.   

A bit about what I am trying to do:
iPod 5th gen here.
Firmware 1.3
I have about 40 playlists that have been growing over the last 5 years.
I have been able, for a long time, to recover the RAW MP3 file names from the iPod playlists and then convert those file name (ex. TEIP.mp3) to file names based on their MP3 ID tags.
Your plugin makes that process makes it super easy!
Having said that, I lose the order (i.e. %list_index%) of the playlist.

One bit of functionality I would like to request:
I would like to preserve the playlist order when exporting a playlist from the iPod to the PC.
I have tried to add  %list_index% as a custom ID tag and try to get it to save to the metadata without any success.
This functionality has probably been built into your component, its just that I am new to FooBar (only been using it for about a month) and I cant figure out the methodology to achieve this.
Please let me know if what I am asking is doable, or am I just SOL.

Great job on this!!   

Reply #3213
Hi. I've been using the foo_dop addon successfully for numerous months, and it worked well. But recently a couple of tracks had been skipping on my ipod, and when i tried to delete them from my playlist and sync it with the addon, they were not listed to be removed.

So i ended up restoring my ipod and updating its firmware to 2.0.1 (6th gen classic btw, windows 7)

Now when i try to sync my ipod it works for about 1000 tracks and then slows down to a snails pace (like one track every 5 minutes). Eventually it skips the rest and does the artwork and gapless info, and then says they were all failed to be added.

Any ideas?

Edit: Everything that IS put on my ipod comes under 'other' and is unplayable...
Oh yeah, and where it pauses it says a few of the tracks on that one album are corrupted and the rest of the 9k~ tracks have the error message
"Failed to add file to iPod:I/O error (win32#1005)" [The last number varies]
and i get "Error writing iTunesDB file : I/O error (win32 #1005)" as a general error.

Edit2: It does seem to have a similar problem with itunes. Wondering whether my ipods for the bin.

Reply #3214
Hi everyone. When i add to foobar single file mp3+cue, and send it to iPod, in the end of synchronization appears this: Failed to add file to iPod: files with chapters are not currently supported by foo_dop. How to solve this problem? Sorry for my poor english.

Reply #3215
Thanks for the reply.  I was basically looking for an "album artist" feature and the ipod still lacks that (which is ridiculous).  I was hoping "sort artist" would be a way to do that.  I guess not.  I'm using the "composer" on the ipod as an "album artist."  It works but isn't the most intuitive thing.
You can still do this...

My stats and ratings also do not carry over on rewrite database.
They are being read as normal, I'll investigate some more..

i get this error when starting foobar:

ipod manager: failed to query registry for apple application support directory - the system cannot find the file specified.
Obviously I fail at writing error messages, but the implication is that Apple Application Support is not installed. Make sure Apple Application Support and Apple Mobile Device Support are up-to-date.

No, you only need iPhoneCalc.dll for newer devices. Better to use 0.6.8.4.

Are you copying the files from the device? File operations should allow you to use %list_index% and if you load the playlists from View/iPod devices they should be in order.

Any ideas?
Well, the error is "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted". Obviously that doesn't sound good, but you can check the drive's SMART data.

Reply #3216
Any ideas?
Well, the error is "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted". Obviously that doesn't sound good, but you can check the drive's SMART data.

Thanks for the speedy reply. The test reads:
Retracts : 3
Reallocs: 2344
Pending Sectors: 72

I take it this is bad? Beyond fixing I guess?

Reply #3217
I tried searching, and if I missed something I would be thankful for a link or whatever.

See, my problem is that with some tracks i get the "failed to add gapless data to ipod" error message, and these tracks wont play on my ipod, but instead he kinda freezes and I have to restart him if I try playing one of them. Foobar and other players have no problem reading and playing the tracks from the ipod (!), not the pc. 

So the big question is: Can I do anything about it? Are the files really corrupted and if so, can I repair them somehow?

thx mirasch

Reply #3218
Are you copying the files from the device? File operations should allow you to use %list_index% and if you load the playlists from View/iPod devices they should be in order.

I have the iPod playlist loaded in Foobar. The playlist .mp3 files live on the iPod, and I can copy those files (ex DRFM.mp3) to a directory on my PC. Now I have the files backed up to PC, I can rename the XXXX.mp3 to filenames based off the ID3 tags, but again, I lose the playlist order. I want to be able to insert the %list_index% metadata into the songs while they still live on the iPod before I copy over to the PC. Then I can sort the playlist via the %list_index% metadata and have my original playlist order back.

Reply #3221
Feature request:  Is there a way to implement transcoding/syncing (playlist) profiles per unique device?

I'm now trying to use the plugin for my wife's iphone and I'd like to put 192VBR AAC on her device and keep mine on ALAC.  And I would like to sync 15 or so playlists to each device, so checking and unchecking playlists to sync is a bit of a pain each time I do it.

Reply #3222
edited my "problem" away.

"For iPhone or iPod touch devices you need to enable “mobile device support” in the Foobar2000 preferences under Tools → iPod Manager → Mobile Devices." Please excuse my stupidity, everything works now

Reply #3223
Also getting the issue of main database songs not updating. Is this due to the upgrade of Playback Statistics?

foobar2000 v1.1
Playback Stats 3.0.1 (issue was occurring with 3 as well though)
foo_dop 0.6.8.4 (issue was occurring with 0.6.7.7 as well)

iPod Classic, 7th Gen

Reply #3224
not sure if it's the right place to put feature requests in, but I'm begging you, Mr. Developer, please add support for new iPod nano (6 gen, the square one), oh please ! with every hour of using this excessive monster (I mean iTunes) I'm getting more and more crazy !  foobar is so much more convenient and faster and logical.
thank you a lot in advance.