Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Options for linking text and audio files ? (Read 4411 times) previous topic - next topic

Options for linking text and audio files ?

A client asked if it is possible to add links to an XML text file in order to immediately play the corresponding part in (the middle of) a long audio file (similar to playing only track xx on a cd). It's unlikely but not impossible that the number of cue points will be over 100.
Does anyone of you have experience with this and if so, what would be the best way to implement this ? AFAIK the computer platform and audio format are not known yet so any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kees de Visser

Reply #1
My first idea would to realise this as a web-based application using an embedded player (like e.g. JW Player). The linking idea then could be implemented using seeking+pausing the player appropriately.

Reply #2
Thanks ojdo for the link! I'll add it to our list of options.

Since the initial file format is going to be wav (or bwav), perhaps using chunks ("cue" and/or "playlist") of the wav file could be an option.
Important aspect is that the cue data will have to be exported to another format in the future.
iXML is on my list too but I should read more about it.
Any other comments/ideas ?

Reply #3
I think I might be missing a piece of information. What program is parsing the XML file?

Reply #4
The client hasn't decided yet, but the audio has to be prepared anyway.

Reply #5
Would it work better if the audio was broken up into individual segments to be played gaplessly? Then the link could just specify at which segment to begin playback.

Reply #6
Would it work better if the audio was broken up into individual segments to be played gaplessly? Then the link could just specify at which segment to begin playback.
Good suggestion, but AFAIK that's not an option. It would result in too many (>100,000) small files

Reply #7
Without knowing the platform this is somewhat confusing.

That said, if apps like foobar can parse a cue sheet (text file) to jump to a specific place then there is no reason why you can't parse an XML file (text file) to do the same... given the right hardware and platform.

I think I'm missing the point.

Also, if a client was unable to tell me anything about the set-up, I think I'd say "Come back when you can".

Following on from the JW Player suggestion, if you are looking web-based, I like SoundManager 2.  Flash would certainly let you quite easily parse an XML file and jump to a specific point in the audio (as would many other development tools, no doubt).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
Also, if a client was unable to tell me anything about the set-up, I think I'd say "Come back when you can".
With big clients that's usually not the best approach . Most of the work will be spent finding en setting the cue points. It has to be done in a future-proof way, allowing the client to easily convert the data into anything he wants (even if that format doesn't exist yet).
BTW that SoundManager 360° UI looks interesting (compact). Thanks for the link.

Reply #9
With big clients that's usually not the best approach .
In my experience larger clients are more easy to deal with.  They'll pay more and expect less.  However, if you're not wasting your time and have work that can be carried out irrespective of platform then I guess that's cool.

Most of the work will be spent finding en setting the cue points. It has to be done in a future-proof way, allowing the client to easily convert the data into anything he wants (even if that format doesn't exist yet).
Any sensible text-based format is going to be pretty easy to parse and convert to any other format. XML has got to be a good base though, and I'd certainly personally go with that, on the idea of cross-platform/easily convertible.  There's good support for parsing XML, and X is for extensible, which is always handy.  XML is the new CSV.

Yeah, Sound Manager 360° is quite neat.
I'm on a horse.