Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC crashes on error - secure vs. burst mode? (Read 1291 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC crashes on error - secure vs. burst mode?

Just getting started with EAC and ripping.  Have read that secure mode is better at avoiding errors than burst mode - have read some on that but don't totally understand the details.  Set my drive (TSST corp SH-224DB) to secure mode.  When I get a read error EAC crashes (on a disc with a few very light scratches) and my optical drive is locked closed and I have to reboot.  I am not a critical listener and doubt I would hear minor issues with the audio but I would like to back up the cds as best as practical.  I see my drive didn't quite make the "best" list but it's close to the bottom of the list.  Polishing the discs would probably help but that's not likely to happen except for a few of the worse ones.

Re: EAC crashes on error - secure vs. burst mode?

Reply #1
I primarily use the same drive (firmware SB00, internal). EAC doesn't 'crash on errors'.
Any error messages or just a crash/shutdown of EAC?

There are several topics on software conflicts. For example
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123769.0.html
korth

Reply #2
Here's the first error screen.  I think there are some read errors on the first track.  (other CDs do it on later tracks). 

when I hit OK on that I get this:

When I hit OK the EAC closes with the drive locked.  I can restart EAC but the drive remains locked.  Only way to recover that I know of is to reboot.

Reply #3
Running EAC V1.6 on win10.  I read the link.  I don't have winfsp but perhaps there is some other conflict.

Reply #4
Where did you get the encoder options?
Can you post a screenshot of Additional External Compression tab and provide full text of the 'Additional command-line options' ?
korth

Reply #5
I was able to duplicate the 1st error.
Set 'Parameter passing scheme' to
Code: [Select]
User Defined Encoder
if you want to use 'Additional command-line options'.

If you want to use the 'LAME MP3 Encoder' preset, leave 'Additional command-line options' blank.

Set 'Use file extension' to
.mp3

Edit: How do you start the extraction (copy)?
korth

Reply #6
Here is the External compression tab:

My command line options:
-T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source% 
And my mp3 compression:

To start the process I insert the cd, press F4 to get the gaps.  Alt-G to get the album data.  Then press the CMP icon to start.

Reply #7
Interesting.  I thought it was the flac encoder that was causing trouble but deleting the command line for mp3 seems to have eliminated the error.  Still a few strange things like I just tried to insert a cd with eac running and it kept kicking out the disk.  I exited eac, inserted the disk and then started eac and all was fine.
I was just using what was recommended on the guide page for adding tags but that seems to cause the errors:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

I also noticed a truncated string on this page:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC
under:
"If you are using EAC 1.0b1 or earlier, then in the Additional command line options box, copy and paste the following string: "
Doesn't affect me but just noticed the error.

Reply #8
Still a few strange things like I just tried to insert a cd with eac running and it kept kicking out the disk.  I exited eac, inserted the disk and then started eac and all was fine.

EAC options > General > Disable 'CD Autostart' for audio and data CDs while EAC running > enabled

I was just using what was recommended on the guide page for adding tags but that seems to cause the errors:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

That page also recommends using 'User Defined Encoder' instead of 'LAME MP3 Encoder' preset.

I also noticed a truncated string on this page:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC
under:
"If you are using EAC 1.0b1 or earlier, then in the Additional command line options box, copy and paste the following string: "
Doesn't affect me but just noticed the error.

That text is correct for legacy versions. The newer versions use longer strings and the text runs off the page but can be copied in full.
korth

Reply #9
That page also recommends using 'User Defined Encoder' instead of 'LAME MP3 Encoder' preset.
Thanks - I missed that.

That text is correct for legacy versions. The newer versions use longer strings and the text runs off the page but can be copied in full.

It doesn't look right to me - it looks truncated.  The suggested string is:
-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -5 %s

isn't it supposed to be %source% at the end?

Reply #11
EAC options > General > Disable 'CD Autostart' for audio and data CDs while EAC running > enabled

That box is already checked.  Maybe some other setting causing the issue with kicking out the cd?  Doesn't seem to be a problem changing the cd after the first one.

Reply #12
Yeah just checked it here and does the same.
Changing in Windows
Control Panel > AutoPlay > Removable drive (or Settings > Bluetooth & devices > AutoPlay > Removable drive)
to 'Take no action' or 'Ask me every time' stops it.
korth

Reply #13
Yeah just checked it here and does the same.
Changing in Windows
Control Panel > AutoPlay > Removable drive (or Settings > Bluetooth & devices > AutoPlay > Removable drive)
to 'Take no action' or 'Ask me every time' stops it.
Hmmm.  I made those settings and it still doesn't work if I start EAC first.  Not a big deal - I can just insert the cd first.  Thanks for the help.

Reply #14
Windows AutoPlay has a CD section also that may have a default set on your system.

korth