Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Car CD/MP3 Players (Read 12274 times) previous topic - next topic

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #25
Well I am looking at purchasing one of these babies... Pioneer manufactures them.

Heres the link: Pioneer DEH-P7450MP

Or this one...

Pioneer DEH-P8450MP

Both them are really good, the thing that strikes me the most is the OEL they both have... makes driving at night such a pleasure

It gonna be installed into my Honda Civic VTi 2001, which already has a great stereo system but it is a bit bland all black and no funky disco lights. So its just the deck for me and the MP3 compatibility.

Anyone has one of these head units? Whats the quality like?

Laters

AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #26
How are the Alpines? They're known for making top drawer components.

I don't recall the model number, but I've only used one Alpine. I believe it was a fairly recent model, probably of this year's crop. It played the --aps stuff I threw at it just fine. It had a wicked time-correction feature for correcting for distance differences between you and the different speaker locations in the car, basically putting you equidistant between all of them. Now they just need to add EQ for each channel, hehe.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #27
As I said in my second post, our CDA-9807 is a great unit.  It seems to play anything I throw at it, including WMA's.  One nice thing I discovered, and this may not be important to very many folks, it can play the little 3" cd's just fine.  I discovered this by RTFM!      I have quite a few of these disks, so that was a nice discovery.

On the down side, and perhaps all CD players do this: the CD's get real hot in normal use. So far this hasn't been a problem, but it does concern me.  The unit even has a small fan mounted at the back.  (I live in Florida.)

Dex

Edit:  In my second post, I commented that the FM transmitter units "sucked".  Thats not a very meaningful review, so let me expand that a bit.
The unit I bought was around $35, so not quite dirt cheap.  You had to manually tune it to the frequency you wanted, then, every time you hit a mild bump, it would detune.    Also, the noise level was horrible. If you tried to adjust the output much above the noise floor, you would overdrive the input signal.  Overall, the unit was simply unusable.

If anyone wants to try one, I'll send you this one for free.  It "sucks" that bad.  B)

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #28
before I added another amp in my system I had been using the deck's built-in amp for the front speakers in my car. While I did that, my CDs came out very hot too. After noticing this, and being lucky to have a dash that was spacious enough to mount one, I mounted an 80mm case fan back in there just to move more air around the deck. They still came out warm, but nowhere near as hot as before, so it helps. After getting another amp, and turning off the deck's built-in amps (yeah, actually has a feature to turn them off completely, woot) I removed the fan from in the dash as it was no longer needed. CDs don't get hot like that anymore, so in my case (and probably most cases) it is simply due to the built-in amps getting hot during their operation. Yours has a small fan in it already, but if you have the room in your dash it probably wouldn't hurt to throw one in there blowing over the unit.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #29
Hello all,

This is my first post here!  Anyway looking to buy an mp3 cd player (less than 150 sterling).  Been looking at:

Pioneer DEH-P3500MP
Kenwood KDC-M4524G
Sony CDX-MP40

Went to a few car shops in town today & nearly everyone I talked to said the Pioneer was the best (are they on some sort of commission?) followed by the Sony, then the Kenwood (very negative comments)

Actually brought in an mp3 cd and tried it out on a few models, the Pioneer was definitely quicker than the Sony & easier to use.  Nobody had the Kenwood on display so I couldn't try it out.  Most said Kenwood wasn't very good anyway.  Its a shame cause I liked the look of it and its dot matrix display looked the part.  I'm a bit sceptical of what the shops are saying so thought I'd see if anyone can put my right.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #30
spuddy, well, if sony's fixed the vbr problem, great. I don't know if they have or not. As for kenwood, as I stated earlier in the thread, it has very poor disc navigation and playback features. Not sure about the Pioneer. Definitely ask to read the manual before you plunk down your cash. Make sure you can live with the disc navigation features, make sure it will actually play all mp3s (simply playing some --aps mp3s is usually a great test there) and make sure it will deal well with your current CDs or if you'll have to reburn them to either work properly or get the most out of the player. If you haven't already, read my long post on the first page of this thread.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #31
thanks _Shorty
read your posts, will see if i can find the manuals online & see what they're like

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #32
Another question, what do you guess: How many percentage of (newer) car-MP3 player show folder/filename OR ID3 information in their display? (Can I be shure, more than 80%?)
edit: typing error

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #33
best off just looking at the manuals for the ones you're considering. My JVCs both read id3v1 tags. The KD-SH99 reads ISO 31 character filenames, and the KD-SH909 I believe could read Joliet filenames. Most of the ones I've seen lately read Joliet and id3v1 tags, but it's quick and easy to check the manual to make sure.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #34
I don't recall the model number, but I've only used one Alpine. I believe it was a fairly recent model, probably of this year's crop. It played the --aps stuff I threw at it just fine. It had a wicked time-correction feature for correcting for distance differences between you and the different speaker locations in the car, basically putting you equidistant between all of them. Now they just need to add EQ for each channel, hehe.

Very nice...ever since I got my my first Alpine head unit (cassette deck in '95), I've said you can't go wrong w/ Alpine.  They're definitely in the upper price range but the workmanship shines through in their functionality and longevity: they end up paying for themselves over time.

Car CD/MP3 Players

Reply #35
best off just looking at the manuals for the ones you're considering
I've got a different purpose: I offer a lot of mp3 for download, all information I need is given in the filename (up tp 100 character). So I want to be shure, that most 'customers' can see the file info of the filename...