Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with Yamaha RS-700 reciever and Polk Audio LSi9s (Read 3159 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with Yamaha RS-700 reciever and Polk Audio LSi9s

I had a RS-700 3 years ago and loved it, but fried it trying to use it on an old RV generator. My older budget Yamaha amp would not power the LSi9s, so I used less power consuming speakers. Currently using 1974 Dynaco A-35s on the RS-700. No issues. Amp is aesthetically the exact same as the one I had.

This year I bought another RS-700 because I loved it and could finally afford another. My old one used to power the polks no problem, sounding like a concert, shaking my neighbor's dishes, etc. When I try them on the new RS-700, they sound sonically fine as background noise level sound but as soon as I turn them up to listening volume, they shit the bed, sound terrible and my amp gets very hot. They are rated 4 ohms I believe. Nothing has happened to the speakers in the time I couldn't use them. No speaker wires crossed, solid connection, etc.

I assume I should use them on "Low", the left selection?

Using a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100, foobar WASAPI. I've troubleshooted every single possible issue. Anyway thanks if anybody has suggestions, sorry for the novel, or it's against any of the forum rules.

Re: Help with Yamaha RS-700 reciever and Polk Audio LSi9s

Reply #1
I had a RS-700 3 years ago and loved it, but fried it trying to use it on an old RV generator. My older budget Yamaha amp would not power the LSi9s, so I used less power consuming speakers. Currently using 1974 Dynaco A-35s on the RS-700. No issues. Amp is aesthetically the exact same as the one I had.

This year I bought another RS-700 because I loved it and could finally afford another. My old one used to power the polks no problem, sounding like a concert, shaking my neighbor's dishes, etc. When I try them on the new RS-700, they sound sonically fine as background noise level sound but as soon as I turn them up to listening volume, they shit the bed, sound terrible and my amp gets very hot. They are rated 4 ohms I believe. Nothing has happened to the speakers in the time I couldn't use them. No speaker wires crossed, solid connection, etc.

I assume I should use them on "Low", the left selection?

Using a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100, foobar WASAPI. I've troubleshooted every single possible issue. Anyway thanks if anybody has suggestions, sorry for the novel, or it's against any of the forum rules.

Its possible that your energetic style of listening has slowly fried the voice coils of your speakers and they are intermittently failing into an ultra-low impedance state and overloading your  amp.

Reply #2
Nothing has happened to the speakers in the time I couldn't use them.
Based on? Your measurements of 15yr old electrolytic caps? Or...??
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #3
Nothing has happened to the speakers in the time I couldn't use them.
Based on? Your measurements of 15yr old electrolytic caps? Or...??

Hi, just interested if you can elaborate on what you mean. The Polk LSi9s were bought in 2011 new, and they were unused from 2014-2017  because my backup amp couldnt power them. The RS-700 could before beautifully, and now my replacement sounds awful paired with them. Everything else is functioning and has been checked. Just disappointed because they were such great sounding stereo speakers.

Reply #5
The Polk LSi9s were bought in 2011 new
This the same model being made in 2011?

Look like a relatively inefficient dual-woofer 2-way mini speaker with a cult following.  Mix this with someone with a taste in certain kinds of music, and you have a recipe for disaster.

They seem to have a fairly flat impedance curve but a characteristic impedance of 4 ohms.

The statement that a certain amp couldn't drive them would appear to be a judgement call.