Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Shuffle tracks algorithm not very good (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic

Shuffle tracks algorithm not very good

What the title says.
I have many playlists some with 1000+ songs and all with shuffle (tracks). Problem is that I hear the same songs 6 out of 10 times. In fact by doing "manual" listening I find songs that never played and those are a LOT, most of my collection haven't played at all.

Can that algorithm be upgraded? something that reads a play count on each song or something like that so the program can put that song at the end of a playlist or simply grab another song?

Not a coder so I'm just presenting the "problem" and an idea.

Re: Shuffle tracks algorithm not very good

Reply #1
That makes no sense. Shuffle by tracks will never repeat the same track on the same listening session, unless it has already played all tracks on the list.
https://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ#random_shuffle_playback_order

So unless you are experiencing a bug, that is not possible.

If you are stopping playback and then starting it again with shuffle... yes, obviously the same tracks can still be played. Create an autoplaylist by last played time for tracks not played in the last hour for ex and then use shuffle there.