Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot open GBS m3u playlists on Foobar2000 with Game Emu Player (Read 1968 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot open GBS m3u playlists on Foobar2000 with Game Emu Player

GBS music files usually come with m3u playlists that specify track title, length of the track and such but for some reason I cannot open these in Foobar2000 and I get the this message:

Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
"DMG-APSJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,13,Professor Oak - Junichi Masuda - Pokemon Yellow - ©1998-09-12 Game Freak\, Nintendo,0:35,,10"

I double checked the file name but everything should be correct.

Any idea why this doesn't work? I mean I can open the GBS file directly but I do not have correct playlengths and titles for the tracks then. :/

Re: Cannot open GBS m3u playlists on Foobar2000 with Game Emu Player

Reply #1
Those M3U files are not meant to be opened. If you open the GBS file, GEP will read the duration and tags automatically if the set is tagged properly. What GBS set are you trying to play?

Reply #2
Interesting. Well, I tried Pokemon Yellow GBS from Zophars Domain and it comes with each track in a seperate M3U. I actually downloaded another GBS from somewhere else with just one single M3U that has all tracks in one and this one is actually read properly by Foobar/Game Emu Player. So I guess Foobar or Game Emu Player cannot handle when every single tracks is in a seperate M3U?

EDIT: Nvm. The M3U still doesn't work. It seems like the tags and such are backed into the GBS file themselves. And to top it all off are completely wrong... So yeah, still doesnt work. Actually these GBS files might just be incorrectly tagged. Even the M3U playlists make no sense and are incorrect for the GBS file. Maybe I find a working one somewhere but all seem to have incorrect playlists for the Yellow edition.

Reply #3
Use NEZplug instead of GME. Apparently, even though it has flawed sound, it somehow gets these stupid M3U pieces of shit correct.

Reply #4
Interesting. Well, I tried Pokemon Yellow GBS from Zophars Domain and it comes with each track in a seperate M3U. I actually downloaded another GBS from somewhere else with just one single M3U that has all tracks in one and this one is actually read properly by Foobar/Game Emu Player. So I guess Foobar or Game Emu Player cannot handle when every single tracks is in a seperate M3U?

EDIT: Nvm. The M3U still doesn't work. It seems like the tags and such are backed into the GBS file themselves. And to top it all off are completely wrong... So yeah, still doesnt work. Actually these GBS files might just be incorrectly tagged. Even the M3U playlists make no sense and are incorrect for the GBS file. Maybe I find a working one somewhere but all seem to have incorrect playlists for the Yellow edition.

In my experience, when I've downloaded XXX+M3U sets, sometimes I've had to change all of the subsong references in the M3Us to be one number higher (0 becomes 1, 1 becomes 2 and so on.) That could be the problem you're experiencing. I've also used Notepad++ to concatenate multi M3U sets into a single M3U before now as like you say it seems to work better in foobar2000 that way. Generally I tend to do the bare minimum to get these sets playing with the correct tags/timers for each song, then from that point create External Tags and save myself any further hassle. If there is a VGM set available I'll just delete these and take that instead because life is too short. There is a VGM set for Pokémon Red & Blue already, and I believe the pack author also had intentions to log the Yellow version exclusive songs in a separate set, though not sure if that has been completed just yet.