Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Exclusive Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2 (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

Exclusive Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2

Hi Folks

any idea why i get this error

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels (0x3)

I'm using an ARCAM irDAC connected via USB with Exclusive mode in Foobar preferences.

I get the above error regardless of what file I try to play.

T

Re: Exclusive Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2

Reply #1
Set foobar 'Output Format' to 24-bit (first screenshot) to match your setting in Windows.

Re: Exclusive Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2

Reply #2
THanks for that, that's done the trick  :) , I don't understand the role of the windows properties dialogue box, I thought the idea was exclusive mode let foobar more or less talk directly to the soundcard (appreciate the Windows Driver has to be involved to an extent) but presume bitrate, sample rate would be negotiated based on the file being played back? For instance the vast majority of my library is 16 bit 44.1kHz, does this mean there's a bit conversion going on now (ie is word length needlessly being extended from 16 to 24 bit)?

Also I note that the window's systray volume control still impacts the volume (again assumed the windows mixer was taken out of the loop in exlcusive mode) - I suspect I don't have all the facts on exclusive mode .

Thoughts welcome :)

Tony

Reply #3
These questions would require someone who knows a little more in depth how things work and knows what they're talking about. :D

To my limited knowledge 16-bit -> 24-bit stream just gets padded with zeros. There is no downside to leaving it on 24-bit and definitely should if you have any such music.

(And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone can clarify)

Windows volume control has always continued to work for me on exclusive mode across several different DACs and drivers, so I guess that is normal drivers interacting with the DAC volume (?)

Reply #4
thanks for that, DAC sounds good regardless :) happy weekend