Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mpTrim Pro (Read 15282 times) previous topic - next topic

mpTrim Pro

I was looking at mpTrim Pro, is it nice to do it's automatic batch trimming?

I've seen it in action, just drop and drag a directory on it, and it goes to work.

I wondered how nice it worked, and if any quality loss of the mp3 would happen as a result of this, if everything was just left on the Default settings...

But from what I saw it's not just dealing with trimming, it's looking at tags, crc, cbr/vbr, cleaning up unrecognized info, volume/maybe gain adjustment, etc...

So I'm wondering if it might mess up mp3s too?

THANKS

mpTrim Pro

Reply #1
Someone I know let me try mpTrim Pro, I was thinking about getting this for myself but now I'm not to sure.

After I dropped an dragged a directory in it I then used a program you might be familiar with called MP3Val to test the files.

MP3Val:
http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

Every one of those files according to MP3Val are now bad and have a problem. This is the type of error message they all have now:

Wrong number of MPEG data bytes specified in Xing header (3366380 instead of 3366046)

Every file says the same thing, 'Wrong number of MPEG data bytes specified in Xing header'. Of course with different number sizes.

Here's a screenshot of this:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8901/24295914vz7.jpg

Now I don't know what to believe, if mpTrim is working or not, and MP3Val is reporting correct problems or not.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you have not used MP3Val to test it out to see what's going on here for those that use mpTrim Pro, why it's reporting a problem after mptrim is triming the mp3s.

Now I'm not to sure if I want to mess with mpTrim Pro or not...

THANKS

mpTrim Pro

Reply #2
I’d trust mp3val – had a similar problem with VBRFix and had to correct it for exactly the same problem. (Link to post)

mpTrim Pro

Reply #3
I’d trust mp3val – had a similar problem with VBRFix and had to correct it for exactly the same problem. (Link to post)

Well that seems pretty crappy if mptrim is messing things up. I mean what's with that $69 for software that breaks stuff... 

Great just when I thought mptrim would be a good tool, now this.

I wrote to the developer, so I hope he'll reply soon, and tell me what's up.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #4
Can mp3val repair the inconsistency created by mp3trim?

mpTrim Pro

Reply #5

MP3Val can do repairs, the question is, is it capable of doing a proper repair, and do I trust it? Hmmm

Here are some screenshots:

Menu shows it can repair:

Repair run on a few mp3s. (Now those show as 'Fixed'):

Scan the mp3s over. (Now these show up as Ok)

Well all I can say is, here is mptrim pro someone selling an app for like $70, and it's supposedly causing problems, and then some opensource freeware software is detecting a problem and fixing it. All I can say is typically speaking it should be the other way around, LOL...

I don't know what to think and what to trust anymore...

I used these programs and none of them found a problem except MP3-Check with Gain Volume.

Ashampoo Music Studio 3
MP3Test
MP3-Check (Says all files Gain volume insufficient, shows all of them on 0)
MP3 Checker
MP3 Shield

For some reason the default settings on mptrim Pro are messing with the gain volume, all my mp3s I used mptrim pro on erased the gain volume to 0. I put it back to default with MP3Gain, and tested again with MP3Val thinking this might of been the problem, but MP3Val still reports the same problem.

Now it seems mprtrim is creating two problems:

1. Creating a wrong number of MPEG data bytes
2. Messing up the Gain Volume

Here's MP3-Check showing all the songs now with 0 for the gain volume: (Notice all the zeros to the left of C:)

mpTrim Pro

Reply #6

MP3Val can do repairs, the question is, is it capable of doing a proper repair, and do I trust it? Hmmm

That is exactly why I was asking

I wonder if it is mp3val that does the volume checks. Probably, it is some other utility that is used by the graphical front end you are using.

I cannot see how mp3trim could mess with gain settings, other than removing replay gain tags, or an mp3gain undo tag. That would indicate that it is changing/removing tags it does not like. Might be well possible, though.

Anyway, I am not sure whether these inconsistencies have any practical consequence that you can experience, though.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #7

That is exactly why I was asking

I wonder if it is mp3val that does the volume checks. Probably, it is some other utility that is used by the graphical front end you are using.

I cannot see how mp3trim could mess with gain settings, other than removing replay gain tags, or an mp3gain undo tag. That would indicate that it is changing/removing tags it does not like. Might be well possible, though.

Anyway, I am not sure whether these inconsistencies have any practical consequence that you can experience, though.

Well as I mentioned above I used MP3Gain to fix the gain, and then ran MP3Val over to see if this helped and it didn't.

All I do know is something is going on, either mptrim is working or it's not. Odd thing is MP3Val is the only one reporting any problems, other then MP3-Check showing the gain gone, no other program I've used says anything about a wrong number of MPEG data bytes other then MP3Val.

I wish I knew of a program that everyone could agree on to test these songs with to see what it says.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #8
I don't trust mp3val. I have tried it and ALL of my mp3's show the same xing error that you saw. They were all encoded with LAME and replaygained with Winamp.
Glass half full!

mpTrim Pro

Reply #9
I don't trust mp3val. I have tried it and ALL of my mp3's show the same xing error that you saw. They were all encoded with LAME and replaygained with Winamp.

Yeah I'm not to sure about it either. Well I'm waiting on the developer from mptrim that is looking into this, so maybe they'll be able to tell me what's going on here.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #10

mpTrim can change the volume manually and even create fadein/outs by adjusting the global gain field of frames losslessy. I think thats one pretty cool feature of mpTrim that I haven't seen any other program do. Maybe that's the reason that it messes with this field - However, I were under the impression that gaining (such as done with MP3Gain) could not be reversed, so what does it do by changing it to 0 ???

However, besides the fact that it does not know how to properly write the Xing header, I think mpTrim is a unique product. Back when I only used mp3's, I used it to adjust the length of silence in beginning and end of my files, and it even detected analog silence pretty well. Xing header is the last problem you should think of - It can always be fixed manually (f.ex. by foobar2000).
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

mpTrim Pro

Reply #11

mpTrim can change the volume manually and even create fadein/outs by adjusting the global gain field of frames losslessy. I think thats one pretty cool feature of mpTrim that I haven't seen any other program do. Maybe that's the reason that it messes with this field - However, I were under the impression that gaining (such as done with MP3Gain) could not be reversed, so what does it do by changing it to 0 ???

However, besides the fact that it does not know how to properly write the Xing header, I think mpTrim is a unique product. Back when I only used mp3's, I used it to adjust the length of silence in beginning and end of my files, and it even detected analog silence pretty well. Xing header is the last problem you should think of - It can always be fixed manually (f.ex. by foobar2000).

What do you mean, what does it do by changing it to 0?

I'm saying that mptrim took out the volume gain and removed it, or set it to zero.

Ahh so mptrim doesn't know how to deal with Xing, ok...

I have foobar but it's on another computer I'm not at for the moment. Where in Foobar would you fix this?

THANKS

mpTrim Pro

Reply #12
[quote name='odyssey' date='Nov 26 2008, 00:16' post='601340']
[quote name='chromium' post='600944' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:55']However, besides the fact that it does not know how to properly write the Xing header,
[/quote]
I used LAME and obtained the same error! Are you suggesting that LAME can't do the Xing header also?
Glass half full!

mpTrim Pro

Reply #13
mpTrim can change the volume manually and even create fadein/outs by adjusting the global gain field of frames losslessy. I think thats one pretty cool feature of mpTrim that I haven't seen any other program do.

MP3DirectCut can do that (and has been able to for ages).

mpTrim Pro

Reply #14
However, besides the fact that it does not know how to properly write the Xing header
I used LAME and obtained the same error! Are you suggesting that LAME can't do the Xing header also?
I'm not suggesting anything. Frankly I don't care much how accurate my Xing headers are, as long as the shown length of the mp3 is not entirely off and I don't think that's likely with any of these tools. I'm not even sure if it's possible to to 100% agree which properties of the Xing header should be most correct.

mpTrim can change the volume manually and even create fadein/outs by adjusting the global gain field of frames losslessy. I think thats one pretty cool feature of mpTrim that I haven't seen any other program do.

MP3DirectCut can do that (and has been able to for ages).

Note, that I didn't say no other programs existed, I just wasn't aware of it so you don't need to flame me.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #15
Sheesh my bad, because I have only been using mp3tag I can't see all the extended tags that could be in a mp3, and with Kid3 I was able to see quite a few left over, I'd imagine deprecated tags that seemed to be causing the issue.

mptrim Pro isn't causing any problems with the Xing headers.

SORRY guys false alarm my bad!

I don't think it's messing with the gain either, something with some tags seemed to be messing with them. I'm still checking them and will report back...

P.S. mptrim pro is working fine, I'm not sure why I saw what I did, hmmm

mpTrim Pro

Reply #16
...using foobar2000?

What are "deprecated tags"? I know that many programs are unable to display the very useful custom comments tag, but I'm not aware of any specific deprecated tags.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #17
...using foobar2000?

What are "deprecated tags"? I know that many programs are unable to display the very useful custom comments tag, but I'm not aware of any specific deprecated tags.

Look down at #4: (Deprecated ID3v2 frames)

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-changes

I don't know if that's all of them or not, since that was dated 2000, but it's all I can find.

mpTrim Pro

Reply #18
Even though there are a few deprecated ID3 field types, why would it ever break program functionality?

mpTrim Pro

Reply #19
Even though there are a few deprecated ID3 field types, why would it ever break program functionality?

I don't think it will break anything, what I think might happen is some of these testing programs act odd with it.

Like I know MP3Test didn't like APE tags in the mp3 if you had them there by mistake and then it would report the mp3 as having an error in it.

Anyhow things seem fine now...

mpTrim Pro

Reply #20
I use mptrim pro a lot and I would like to warn users that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to trim silence from the beginning of mp3 files encoded with newer versions of the LAME encoder. Of all the mp3 encoders, LAME is the only one that seems to deliberately encode beginning silence in a way that combines it with the audible portion so that it cannot be removed. If frames are removed from the beginning of LAME encoded files with silence at the beginning, the audible portion is BADLY corrupted (a loud chirp or squawk is usually produced.)

mpTrim Pro

Reply #21
Does the problem go away if you minimize the use of the bit reservoir?

Example:
mp3packer -b 320 original.mp3 nores.mp3
(or use the --nores option when invoking LAME)