Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Guide to iTunes-compatible Nero-encoded AAC (Read 69010 times) previous topic - next topic

Guide to iTunes-compatible Nero-encoded AAC

Reply #25
This is what I've just started doing.

EAC -> FLAC using this command line:

-8 -V -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I then use Foobar to add replaingain and the foo_nero plugin to encode them to AAC with all the tags complete. All that's left is to move them to itunes and then my iPod.

Reply #26

-8 -V -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I then use Foobar to add replaingain and the foo_nero plugin to encode them to AAC with all the tags complete. All that's left is to move them to itunes and then my iPod.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=210915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what I've been doing, but foo_nero doesn't seem to make iTunes readable tags for me. 

Reply #27

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=210915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what I've been doing, but foo_nero doesn't seem to make iTunes readable tags for me. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265580"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ren *.mp4 *.m4a

Reply #28
Download iTunes 4.2.

All M4A files generated by foobar mp4 plugin (leveraging Nero 6.3) work fine in 4.2.

I can confirm that m4a generated by foobar2000 with faac are also now read properly by this new iTunes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=165046"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does this mean that extracting the AAC stream and remuxing is no longer nessesary unless you use iTunes pre-4.2?  If so, someone should add that to the first post, as people may not read the whole discussion and destroy their gapless info for no reason.

Reply #29
Is there any reason for this thread to be pinned? It seems the information has mostly been obsolete for a couple of years already, and it isn't very helpful anymore, just confusing.

Reply #30
agreed. i was just about to do this before i read the date hah.

Reply #31
seconded. I just started ripping songs to Nero Q .45 (so they should all be LC) and wanted to come read this guide to see if I could make them iTunes/iPod compatible because I plan on finally buying a mp3 player soon and it will probably be an iPod Nano. But this should either be unpinned or updated, I'm sure there is less complicated ways to due now and nero provides their aac encoder for free too.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #32
Thread unpinned.

Besides, I've used neroaacenc files on my 4G iPod for about a year now with no problems.

Reply #33
[...]I'm sure there is less complicated ways to due now and nero provides their aac encoder for free too

To me it looks like nowadays you just have to respect the .m4a extension for the MP4 container.

Though I'm not the owner of an iPod myself, I also conducted some testing with Nero AAC played back in iTunes some time ago. This was mainly to make sure the encodings are compatible to the offically unspecified AAC standards introduced by Apple, e.g. MP4 tagging and gapless playback. Especially the latter was of interest, since to my knowledge Nero and Apple use different approaches of getting continous track transitions running. To my surprise, iTunes flawlessly supports Nero's way of handling this matter. Don't know whether this is also valid for the iPod, though.