Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HTML standards, non-compliant browsers, webdesign (Read 8921 times) previous topic - next topic

HTML standards, non-compliant browsers, webdesign

Originally posted by [JAZ]
The song is avaiable in original form ( .psy format, from the open sourcePsycle Tracker , ) at my webpage (songs section). There's the description of the song, and the reason of why it is called "awe32" :·)

Ps. I'm not a webdesigner (as it would be obvious)..

I can't use this page. I don't find the points where I must make
clickie clickie.

Can you check this page with a W3C checker?

Plain old HTML code is often better than the lot of new stuff.
You also don't want to buy books where you need a special light
lamp to decipher the contents.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #1
which browser are you using?
I tested the page with IE , Mozilla 1.0 and Opera 6 (I had to made many changes, because initially was only usable in IE)

I've just added a link to the text on the buttons. This should make all other browsers work.

Reply #2
which browser are you using?
I tested the page with IE , Mozilla 1.0 and Opera 6 (I had to made many changes, because initially was only usable in IE)

I've just added a link to the text on the buttons. This should make all other browsers work.

Uninteresting.
Write portable code or test all available web browers
in the past and in the future.

Otherwise you kill the idea of HTML (which seems to be a aim
of nearlyevery  everyone).

He is a public surf station at the university with 4.78.
I can run Netscape, not more.

May be it is a HPUX, a SunOS, a Windows or a Linux which runs here as OS.
I don't know.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #3
I can confirm Frank's story, in our University (Uni Dortmund), all terminals are equipped with Linux & Netscape 4.7. It's sad really, with NS 4 being such a sad excuse for a modern browser, but what can you do. My own page is 100% HTML 4 transitional compliant, and of course doesn't look as intended when i check from those terminals. Still, i did the best to make it at least fully usable with that suboptimal, outdated browser.

Reply #4
Well.. i DID write it to work in different browsers.
I even asked users with linux to test it with their browsers. (Netscape 4, Mozilla, konqueror and Opera)
Netscape 4 is NOT a compliant browser, so your claim to make portable code does not apply. That's like telling a game developer that he has made it wrong because it does not run in the user's *emulator*.

I've validated the page, the css is completely compliant. the html pages just have one or two problems that doesn't affect the page correctness. (They are basically browser specific things).

BTW.. were you sleepy, or was someone else who wrote that text? (faults, etc..)

Citay: Are you saying that you cannot *use* the page either? Now if the browser supports frames it *MUST* work (because it is no more than two frames and a "link" to update the page). Previously, this was made using javascript, which is also valid.

to coclude: This is not a page to be seen with a wap mobile, it's a page to be seen with a browser that supports HTML 4, CCS and javascript.
And... let's stop talking about the page. It is not the important matter.

Reply #5

Netscape 4 is NOT a compliant browser, so your claim to make portable code does not apply. That's like telling a game developer that he has made it wrong because it does not run in the user's *emulator*.

Just want to add a bit of support here.  To get a page to look properly under Netscape 4 anymore, you have to code for Netscape 4.  Coding to the standards doesn't help because Netscape 4 is non-standards compliant.

Coding for a non-standards compliant browser is just as harmful as coding for something like IE specific extensions.

The answer?

Users need to upgrade to a standards compliant browser.  The people who are using Netscape 4 (and other non-compliant browsers) are in my opinion just as responsible as the developers coding for MS only browsers as far as "killing the idea of HTML".

Use Mozilla/IE6/Konqueror (KDE3) and stop bitching.

http://www.w3.org/
http://www.webstandards.org/

Reply #6

Citay: Are you saying that you cannot *use* the page either?

I haven't checked your page with Netscape 4.x, i was referring to my own page. It wasn't really usable from the Linux terminals at my Uni. The fonts were extremely small (probably because i used CSS, and not <font> tags). Most CSS effects were not working, or working incorrectly. I had lots of layout errors (centering etc.).
Also, two textblocks that are side by side suddenly overlap with NS 4, when the window size is too small to  show the entire horizontal content. The effect also occurs when the page is printed out. This is a violation of ancient HTML standards. The text must not overlap, the browser has to add horizontal scrollbars instead. Some time ago i made a small test page for that here.

Reply #7
Originally posted by CiTay
I can confirm Frank's story, in our University (Uni Dortmund), all terminals are equipped with Linux & Netscape 4.7.
Well contact your uni's computer department. It's unbelievable that universities which should present the top knowledge and education in a society, can't even install properly working web-browser???
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #8
Originally posted by JohnV
Well contact your uni's computer department. It's unbelievable that universities which should present the top knowledge and education in a society, can't even install properly working web-browser???

It's an experiment to use some outdated hardware.
You can use it or you can't use it, that's the choice.
I don't think there's someone responsible for that terminals.
Looks like installed just for fun.

Monitor is from 1993. Looks like noone will spend more than 2 minutes
for these machines.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #9
Originally posted by JohnV

Für die Wartung der Rechentechnik sind an der Uni im wesentlichen zwei Personen
verantwortlich. Bei Siemens wären dafür 80 Leute eingestellt mit 6 Chefs und einem ganz großen Chef. Zum Teil wird mit Hardware gehext, die bei Großfirmen ungesehen in den Schrottcontainer fliegen würde, selbst wenn man sich sonst sonst wie bürokratisch
mit Verschrottung von Technik tut (Verschrottungsbescheinung).

Im wesentlichen kommt es darauf an, daß es keine Sicherheitlöcher gibt
und das man halbwegs sinnvoll gestaltete HTML-Seiten ansehen kann. Und das die
Sysadmins nicht verhungern, weil der Arbeitstag länger als 24 Stunden war. Für irgendwelche Extraalüren wegen irgendwelcher designten Webseiten haben die Leute
ungefähr so viel Verständnis wie ich dafür, irgendeinem 6jährigen ein
Farb-WAP-Handy zu schenken.

BTW braucht man bei HA eine Lupe, um Schriften lesen zu können. Diese
designte Webkram ignoriert MEINE PERSÖNLICHEN Einstellungen. Das ist zum
Kotzen, um es ganz höflich auszudrücken.

Ich will Informationen lesen und nicht ewigen Kitsch betrachten müssen.
Webdesignern müßte es zur Pflicht gemacht werden, erst einen zweijährigen
Lehrgang in Schwarzer Kunst zu belegen, bevor sie den ersten HTML-Code schreiben
dürfen. Irgendwie wird auf den 500 Jahren Erfahrung der Buchdruckerkunst rumgetrampelt,
wie es selbst ein Springelefant nicht hinbekommen würde.

Falls jetzt jemand über meine Webseite herzieht, so hat er recht. Fürchterlich.
Aber laut Aussagen einiger Leute sollten diese Seiten schon seit einem
Jahr nicht mehr notwendig sein. Und wer designt schon noch Seiten, die es seit
Main 2001 nicht mehr gibt.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #10
Originally posted by Dibrom

Just want to add a bit of support here.  To get a page to look properly under Netscape 4 anymore, you have to code for Netscape 4.  Coding to the standards doesn't help because Netscape 4 is non-standards compliant.

Coding for a non-standards compliant browser is just as harmful as coding for something like IE specific extensions.

The answer?

Users need to upgrade to a standards compliant browser.  The people who are using Netscape 4 (and other non-compliant browsers) are in my opinion just as responsible as the developers coding for MS only browsers as far as "killing the idea of HTML".

Don't change a running system. These terminals are very likely
from the Pre-Pre-Mozilla/IE6/Konqueror time.
Looks like 1152x900 in 256 colors. Sun Sparc 10???

Monkey's Audio works nice.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #11
Originally posted by Dibrom

The answer?

Hubert Partl, University of Vienna

Code: [Select]
Richtige HTML

Was ist richtig?

Wenn Sie wollen, daß Ihre Information von allen Interessenten gelesen werden kann, dann müssen Sie darauf

achten, daß Ihre HTML-Files genau der HTML-Norm (HTML 2 bzw. HTML 3) entsprechen und daß sie von allen

gängigen Web-Browsern richtig verarbeitet werden.

Viele, aber nicht alle Web-Browser tolerieren viele, aber nicht alle Abweichungen von der HTML-Norm. Wenn Ihr

HTML-File also von Ihrem eigenen Browser richtig verstanden wird, dann bedeutet das noch nicht, daß es sich

tatsächlich um syntaktisch richtige und normgerechte Hypertext Markup Language handelt und daß es auch von

anderen Lesern mit den von ihnen verwendeten Browsern gelesen werden kann.

Um sicherzustellen, daß Ihre HTML-Files tatsächlich brauchbar sind, müssen Sie deswegen HTML-Prüfprogramme

(Validatoren) verwenden, die eigens für diesen Zweck eingerichtet wurden (siehe die Referenzen).

Weltweite Zusammenarbeit oder Firmenabhängigkeit

Das World Wide Web baut, wie schon der Name sagt, auf der Idee einer weltweiten Zusammenarbeit auf: Alle

Benutzer mit allen Clients sollen auf alle Informationen und Services auf allen Servern zugreifen können.

Dies kann selbstverständlich nur dann funktionieren, wenn alle Beteiligten die offiziellen oder inoffiziellen Normen für

die Datenübertragung und die Datenformate genau einhalten: TCP/IP, HTTP, HTML...

Manche kommerzielle Firmen wie z.B. Netscape oder Microsoft bemühen sich, WWW-Software zu vertreiben, die

zusätzliche Features aufweist, die über die HTML-Norm hinausgehen oder ihr, noch schlimmer, sogar

widersprechen. Damit werden alle Benutzer, die diese "Extras" ausnützen wollen, gezwungen, die Software dieser

Firma zu kaufen.

Die Einengung auf ein bestimmtes Produkt oder eine Firma ist in diesem innovativen Bereich besonders ungünstig,

wie die jüngsten Erfahrungen lehren:

1993 wurde für Informationssysteme hauptsächlich Gopher verwendet.

1994 wurde Gopher von Mosaic fast vollständig verdrängt.

1995 wurde Mosaic von Netscape fast vollständig verdrängt.

Schon jetzt gibt es aber Millionen von Benutzern, die keines dieser drei Produkte verwenden sondern die in AOL,

Prodigy, OS/2 oder Windows-95 integrierten Web-Browser, und die Entwicklung und Verbreitung von neuen

Web-Browsern geht ständig weiter, sodaß mit einer immer größeren Vielfalt gerechnet werden muß.

Wenn Ihre HTML-Files auch noch nächstes Jahr brauchbar sein sollen und wenn Sie nicht einen großen Teil der

Interessenten vom Zugriff auf Ihre Informationen ausschließen wollen, dann müssen Sie als Autor auf solche

firmenspezifische "Extrawürste" möglichst verzichten und die vom W3-Consortium veröffentlichte HTML-Norm

möglichst genau einhalten.

Beispiele für solche ungenormte "Extrawürste", die Sie vermeiden sollten, sind <animate>, <blink>, <bgsound>,

<center>, <font>, <frameset>, <map>, <marquee> u.a.

Wenn Sie aber aus bestimmten Gründen neue oder nicht genormte oder nicht von allen Web-Browsern unterstützte

Elemente verwenden, dann achten Sie bitte darauf, daß Ihre Informationen trotzdem von allen Web-Browsern

wenigstens einigermaßen brauchbar dargestellt werden können, z.B. indem Sie "Alternativen" einfügen. Hinweise für

solche hilfreiche Tricks finden Sie in den Kapiteln über Tabellen, Zentrierung, Bilder und Spezialeffekte. Im

Zweifelsfall halten Sie sich lieber an die alte Grundregel der Informationsverarbeitung:

Sei möglichst konservativ beim Schreiben

und möglichst liberal beim Lesen!
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #12
Originally posted by Frank Klemm
Looks like 1152x900 in 256 colors. Sun Sparc 10???

AAArg !
We had those too ! Letters were 1 millimeter high on the screen ! We had to change the system fonts each time we logged in  !

Reply #13

Hubert Partl, University of Vienna

Code: [Select]
Richtige HTML

Was ist richtig?

Sei möglichst konservativ beim Schreiben

und möglichst liberal beim Lesen!

Ach so, warum soll ich eigentlich in Englisch schreiben?
Ich kann mich in Deutsch wesentlich besser, schneller und effektiver
ausdrücken.

Das da hinten ein paar Leute leute runterfallen, weil sie diese
Form von Information nicht rezipieren können, ist ja weitgehend
uninteressant. Sollen die doch Deutsch lernen oder sich einen
Babelfisch zulegen. Oder sich von IBM Übersetzungssoftware
installieren. Braucht nur 600 GByte Plattenplatz und einen
Pentium 6/48 mit 32 GByte RAM.

Und Hydrogenaudio kann man auf dem Dell Inspiron eines Kumpels
ohne Leseglass nicht lesen. Winzig ist für die Schrift geschmeichelt.
Die ist 1.7 mm hoch (unter dem Mikroskop ausgemessen) - Großbuchstaben,
Kleinbuchstaben sind teilweise noch kleiner (1.2 mm).
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #14
Sollen die doch Deutsch lernen oder sich einen Babelfisch zulegen.

but "Ryba Babel" (Polish for Babelfisch / Babelfish) will only make your text funny and often quite opposite of what it's supposed to be...

Reply #15

Sollen die doch Deutsch lernen oder sich einen
installieren. Braucht nur 600 GByte Plattenplatz und einen
Pentium 6/48 mit 32 GByte RAM.

dude do you have a crack for this?
You can't kill the Elephant.

Reply #16
ausdrücken.

uninteressant. Sollen die doch Deutsch lernen oder sich einen
installieren.

I just read a few posts of you here, but no wonder I don't like you.

Reply #17

ausdrücken.

uninteressant.

I understand that it can be frustrating to search for words in a foreign language. But you have to try; this is the internet, after all. Many valuable places are english only, and rightfully so. This is the only language that almost everyone has basic skills in. Broken english is tolerated, you don't have to be perfect.

Reply #18
Originally posted by Tom Servo

I just read a few posts of you here, but no wonder I don't like you.

There is a great amount of sarcasm in there, his posts are rarely to be taken literally.

Reply #19
Klemm, If you got angry because of my comment if you were sleepy, I'm sorry. It happens to everyone. It simply seemed strange coming from you, nothing more.

If you feel like expressing yourself in German (Deutch or whatever it is), it's fine. Of course that means that a part of the people won't understand you. That's why people agree to talk in one language, and that's why people agree to use one browser or another, because of the utility of it.

Don't make it bigger than what it is, ok? you're a respectable coder.

Reply #20
There maybe sarcasm, and I missed it. Still I don't find it appropriate. Actually that does also add up to the recent bitching of Frank due JAZ' website and nagging of some lacking features here on VBB. It left the impression of some egocentric person to me.

Reply #21
There maybe sarcasm, and I missed it. Still I don't find it appropriate. Actually that does also add up to the recent bitching of Frank due JAZ' website and nagging of some lacking features here on VBB. It left the impression of some egocentric person to me.

I would speak from a silly person wasting a lot of time
(ten of hours per week) to access information other people
are not able or not willing to represent in a form so I can
read it without so much trouble.

It's like serving puree to a stork.

Original HTML is out, kitsch is in.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #22
Klemm, If you got angry because of my comment if you were sleepy, I'm sorry. It happens to everyone. It simply seemed strange coming from you, nothing more.

If you feel like expressing yourself in German (Deutch or whatever it is), it's fine. Of course that means that a part of the people won't understand you. That's why people agree to talk in one language, and that's why people agree to use one browser or another, because of the utility of it.

Don't make it bigger than what it is, ok? you're a respectable coder.

Other use technical boundaries/languages/dialect/OS to select readers,
und mit dem gleichen Grund kann man auch sprachliche Barrieren aufbauen.

Ich lege hiermit genauso wie andere keinen Wert mehr darauf, daß sie
etwas mit der Information anfangen können. Punkt.

Das man erst stundenlang rausfinden muß, mit welchen Einstellungen
man welche Seite mit welchem Browser unter welchem Betriebssystem
lesen kann, dann habe ich keine Zeit mehr, Dinge in Englisch
zu erklären.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #23

É@-?????@ÅÂÃÄÉÃ@-¥??@ÁâÃÉÉ%
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #24
Ehh, Frank? Did you perhaps drink few beers too many?
Juha Laaksonheimo