Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to make an unrecordable sound? (Read 17018 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to make an unrecordable sound?

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with either auditory hallucinations or a stalker who is adept with audio technology.

Is it possible for someone to channel sound through my computer and freezer as if using the electrical hardware as a speaker?  I am convinced I can hear someone communicating via this equipment but whenever I try to record it the sound seems too faint and it's clouded by too much noise I cannot use it as evidence.

I'm sorry for sounding crazy but I literally might be.  I am just positive that someone is messing with me in a really bad way.

I am using Audacity to try to analyse the recordings but I have no idea how to get rid of certain bit of noise to only leave the (what I believe to be human speech) sounds.

Is it even possible the person making the sounds is sending out a frequency which prevents recording and just fills the microphone with a lot of noise?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.

Reply #1
The human brain is extremely adept at recognizing patterns, in fact it is so good that it tends to recognize patterns where there are none. Hence people believing they see faces in everyday objects or devils in clouds of dust etc.

Either that is what's happening, and your brain is playing tricks on you. Or perhaps your electronics are picking up radio signals from distant radio stations, which has been known to happen.

I certainly don't think anyone shadowy would focus their attention on a completely normal person, to the extent of even trying to hide their transmissions using "unrecordable" frequencies. If you can truly hear something, it can definitely be recorded.

Think about it. Why would anyone want to waste their time and resources messing with a completely ordinary person who doesn't know any sort of state secrets or anything?

Reply #2
Hi KozmoNaut, thanks for replying.

My problem appears to be I have unfortunately crossed paths with a psychopathic stalker.

If I could get proof of what I say I am hearing I could maybe be pronounced sane but everyone insists that it's too ludicrous a situation and that I'm just hearing things.  I know that I might be hearing things but I also know the psychosis was induced by this stalker repeatedly saying things over and over.

Reply #3
I remember setting up a performance of William Walton's 'Facade' in a school theatre, and the borrowed PA system playing voices. That turned out to be due to someone coiling the (very long) lead and it becoming, in effect, an AM radio aerial.

That was the first time I'd come across this or even heard of it, and it took a purely accidental gathering up of the cable (to take it away and do an unamplified performance) to find that the sounds disappeared as the neat coils of wire were undone.

On a purely artistic level, the inadvertent mixing of 'Facade' with 'The Archers' during rehearsals was... interesting and probably cutting-edge or something. I should have applied for an Arts Council grant.

Reply #4
Hi KozmoNaut, thanks for replying.

My problem appears to be I have unfortunately crossed paths with a psychopathic stalker.

If I could get proof of what I say I am hearing I could maybe be pronounced sane but everyone insists that it's too ludicrous a situation and that I'm just hearing things.  I know that I might be hearing things but I also know the psychosis was induced by this stalker repeatedly saying things over and over.

How do you know this, if I may be so blunt?

What makes you so sure? :-)

Reply #5
Hi KozmoNaut,

I understand your query.  They have said things that would happen and they did.  Nothing spectacular, just little things.  But they are also predicting terrible things which is why I'm hoping to find some kind of way of recording these messages if possible or at least lifting them from a recording through all the noise.

Thanks again

Reply #6
I am using Audacity to try to analyse the recordings but I have no idea how to get rid of certain bit of noise to only leave the (what I believe to be human speech) sounds.

How about you post this recording, in our forum's upload section and then post a link to it here in this thread, or a section of it where you believe the human speech to be, and we'll see if we hear human voices there or not too. DO NOT TELL US IN ADVANCE WHAT WORDS YOU ARE MAKING OUT or else it will bias us.

Reply #7
Hi mzil, thanks for replying.

I will cut a sample from a recording and upload it.

Hopefully someone can help me see if it's just my head.

Thanks again.

Reply #8
Schizophrenia (/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder often characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to recognize what is real. Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, auditory hallucinations, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and lack of motivation. Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the person's reported experiences.

Reply #9

Something I can only assume will make you even more alert to identify patterns, and more false positives will show up. Confirmation bias, I guess.

I have many times heard "the wrong thing" in music with sound effects. Human voice, some sort of instrument which isn't there, at least not on repeated hearing - but sometimes I understand what could possibly sound that way.

Reply #10
I listened to the files you uploaded and heard nothing at all resembling human speech.

Reply #11
OP needs to consult a doctor, not an internet forum.

Reply #13

The entire range of human hearing is recordable. Any modern smartphone has limits but should be able to capture it well enough.

Is it possible for someone to channel sound through my computer and freezer as if using the electrical hardware as a speaker?

No.

The voices are in your head. As others have pointed out, it's normal for the brain to imagine patterns in noise, and this applies to sound as well as vision. If you were saying you heard indistinct whispers when there was a lot of white noise or echoes, that wouldn't be remarkable. But you say you are hearing a voice telling you, in language you can understand, specific things about the future? This is truly bizarre and the thing you should be worried about is how it is going to interfere with your life in a major way if you don't get it under control; don't be accepting it and trying to figure out who or how someone's trying to mess with you. Go to your general practitioner or school clinic or whatever and get someone to listen to you... they'll help you figure out what's really going on. No one is messing with you. Good luck.

Reply #14
Hi HeavenlyBaudio,

You have received some very good ideas here, and I'd like to add my impressions from the files you uploaded. Before that, I'll point out that I grew up near the transmitter of a 50kW "clear-channel" AM station. Very many amplified systems had a faint background of that radio station. It was faint but easily understood... you could get the day's weather report that way! But I did not hear something like that on your recordings. About the recordings... (I did nothing fancy, just used an equalizer to boost 100-1000 and reduce the rest)
First, you seem to have recorded in different rooms. There is clearly a ticking clock in Test3, but not in the other two. I also noticed that there are traffic sounds on Test and Test3, but none in Test2. Is that a third room or a different time of day? Either way, the traffic sounds tell us that your apartment(?) is not well insulated to outside sounds. I never heard anything that was clearly a voice, but on Test and Test3, there were a few places where the "noise" seemed to modulate with the cadence of speech. I've heard that many times: it sounds just like the radio or TV of a neighbor. Is it possible you just hear that? Given the other "outside" sounds, even if you find this idea less than likely, I find it much more likely than a psychopathic stalker.
You say
They have said things that would happen and they did.
Was it something that could be on the radio or TV? ...like a weather prediction or announcement of an upcoming event?

Other than confirming: if you can hear it, you can record it, I'm not sure this forum can help. Except to repeat mjb2006's advice:
The entire range of human hearing is recordable. Any modern smartphone has limits but should be able to capture it well enough.

As others have pointed out, it's normal for the brain to imagine patterns in noise, and this applies to sound as well as vision. If you were saying you heard indistinct whispers when there was a lot of white noise or echoes, that wouldn't be remarkable. But you say you are hearing a voice telling you, in language you can understand, specific things about the future? This is truly bizarre and the thing you should be worried about is how it is going to interfere with your life in a major way if you don't get it under control; don't be accepting it and trying to figure out who or how someone's trying to mess with you. Go to your general practitioner or school clinic or whatever and get someone to listen to you... they'll help you figure out what's really going on. No one is messing with you. Good luck.

A complete checkup is a good thing, and perhaps checking your hearing for tinnitus or other problem might also help. This is your best shot at resolution. Good luck and hang in there!

Reply #16
it's too ludicrous a situation and that I'm just hearing things.

Although there do exist garbly sounds that we sometimes perceive as whispering voices, your recordings do not contain such a thing.

Instead, they contain:

- you typing
- you doing nothing and then shifting position (in your chair, I guess)
- a clock in the other room (and more shifting in your chair).

Reply #17
Here is another example of how just a very little suggestion can make us hear something that is not there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

I think the demonstration starts at about 5.00. I just fast-forwarded to the slide, without turning on the sound stuff, to check it was the right video. It's all great stuff, but anyone wanting to skip the rest, just look for the woman coming to the podium.

Here's my answer to being targeted: How would anybody target my hifi? As far as I know, that is impossible. They would have to flood the whole area.

However, I'm very well aware (all too aware!) of how useless it is, for instance, telling a person suffering from depression to "snap out of it." Mental problems do not listen to "reason," especially if they involve brain chemistry. These logical arguments may not help... a doctor can.

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #18
As the father of a child with mental issues, I can assure you that auditory hallucinations are very real to the person who is having them. As to their root cause, I will leave that to the experts.

Reply #19
Hopefully someone can help me see if it's just my head.  Thanks again.

It's just in your head. Even sane people can hear things that aren't there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCTty3KDLk

Yes we can! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS53I-k_T4o

Reply #20
Any chance you've got a build-up of Carbon Monoxide? I ask because your post reminded me of someone on Reddit who was convinced they were being stalked/messed with, then a poster suggested checking CO levels and the original poster later came back and said that they were right and had really been suffering from CO poisoning. The story still seems a bit suspicious to me, this being the internet and all, but it also seems plausible so you never know.

Reply #21
As the father of a child with mental issues, I can assure you that auditory hallucinations are very real to the person who is having them. As to their root cause, I will leave that to the experts.

Of course. And the best this forum can do, having answered the technical,  is to sensitively nudge in the direction of the experts. 

Reply #22
This sounds eerily similar to a period of my life. I had a bought of auditory hallucinations in my late 20's. They were utterly convincing and malevolent. The mental framework I constructed to explain them felt completely real. It was a terrifying experience, like living in a Stephen King novel.

The turning point was when I started hearing the evil voices outside my apartment, and I started to question my sanity.

I went to my doctor, and in consultation with a psychiatrist, he prescribed some meds, and soon the voices went away and never came back. In short, I've managed to live a (mostly) sane life since then. Needless to say, I'm grateful I went to my doctor.

I dearly hope you seek a medical opinion. It's the best thing I ever did.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #23
I have experienced auditory hallucinations. They were not threatening, and I noticed, with some amusement, that they had 1950s upper-middle-class accents. it was a bit like snatches of listening to the BBC in my childhood.  It was benign: I listened and forgot. I don't even mind if it happens again, but I think there is just a chance the phenomenon may have been related to some meds I was taking at the time. No, I'm not talking of my hippy days, which were over several decades before that.

Migraine, for me these days, involves more visual interference than any other symptom. I've learnt that all I need to do is leave aside the stuff that is hard, like reading (and obviously dangerous, like driving!) it passes much more quickly than if I fuss and feel I have to struggle with it. I've got a migraine attack down to half an hour now!  But it took decades to realise.

I don't make light of mental-health problems. I don't even confuse clinical depression with feeling fed up about something: it is a very different experience. 

Gentle nudge, HeavenlyBaudio: go see your doc.

Reply #24
Interestingly the OP mentions auditory hallucinations. I think everything told, points exactly there. And those can't be recorded, which explains it.

A milder variation are auditory illusions. You hear real sound but interpret it as containing something that's not there (in my words).
There are even ambient mixes based on the idea of Acoustical Illusions.

The paranoia seems the thing to worry about, my father became like that when he was around 82.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.