Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Intel Proposes to Use USB Type-C Digital Audio Technology (Read 2612 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Intel Proposes to Use USB Type-C Digital Audio Technology

Reply #1
Nice feature, but not a very good idea to abandon 3.5 jacks ...

Reply #2
Thinking about it... I'm the only one smelling DRM around this?
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #3
looks like apple's vision of having 1 port on their laptops and phones will become a reality. i like this change. death to ground loops!

Reply #4

More than that, I smell audiophile market. But, at the same time,  perhaps it doesn't make sense as we have that option from the USB OTG anyway,

I also smell sales of compatible earphones.

I also smell massive incovenience. Are there going to be earphones in the box? Often there aren't:  those who are unable to live without being wired to their phone or cannot conveneiently use it hand-held, won't even have a phone until they go out andy buy.

looks like apple's vision of having 1 port on their laptops and phones will become a reality. i like this change. death to ground loops!

When you are out on the street, earbuds in ear, grooving down the road to your sounds --- or your business negotiations--- do you often manage to get a ground loop?
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #5
It would make listening to music, while charging, a bit challenging....
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #6
It would make listening to music, while charging, a bit challenging....

For sure you have to buy a Y-cable adapter to be able to charge and listen to music at the same time. Costs approx 25€ ;)
.halverhahn

Reply #7

When you are out on the street, earbuds in ear, grooving down the road to your sounds --- or your business negotiations--- do you often manage to get a ground loop?

when i connect my phone's USB for power and 3.5mm to my car, ground loop.

Reply #8

One nice thing about building the power, digital and analog output into the USB Type C connector would be that it would force companies making equipment to address problems like the cigarette lighter 12v and the AUX having different grounds.  They do it now for iPhones of course, but a standardized connector would be nice. 

Reply #9
The headphone integrated DAC might be an issue for many.

Reply #10

One nice thing about building the power, digital and analog output into the USB Type C connector would be that it would force companies making equipment to address problems like the cigarette lighter 12v and the AUX having different grounds.  They do it now for iPhones of course, but a standardized connector would be nice. 
wait the grounds are different? i thought they were the same.

Reply #11
wait the grounds are different? i thought they were the same.

Probably not your exact problem, but one common issue with car stereos and mp3 players or phones is that the headphone out ground is half the full scale voltage above power supply ground.  If the stereo does not include a coupling capacitor, things go very badly. 

Reply #12

OK. Ground loops seem to very useful tools to demonstrate the limits of my knowledge and imagination.

I just had the phone in pocket, buds in ear picture in my mind. It was not enough.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #13
The current solution to this is Bluetooth. But then you have to hope your car does generic audio over bluetooth and not only phone call audio(mine does not).

Reply #14
Yes, they mention HDCP in the article. That's a complete deal-breaker. It has limited HDMI a lot. And now people have to buy new AVRs in order to get HDCP 2.2 compatibility, even though many AVRs are perfectly capable of passing the higher rates of 4K video perfectly. And the first generation of AVRs and TVs that supported HDCP 2.2 only could do it in a minority of ports. Eff that.

BTW, DRM-less USB audio via a Type C port is already available in the newer Android phones and tablet with that port, and works pretty much like any USB device connected to a computer, including headphones. One advantage of USB-C is the Power Delivery spec, which can have the device provide more power to the USB audio accessory.