Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems decoding (converting) mpc (Read 10598 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems decoding (converting) mpc

Hi.

I have around 50-70 CDs encoded with MPC in 2003.
Because mpc seems to be death, i want to convert this cds to mp3.
re-ripping isnt possible at the moment, because my plextor reader is defective.
so i have to buy a new reader.
i think quality loss isnt very high, so converting this files seems ok to me.

yesterday i tried to convert some of these albums, but got errors on 3 out of 100 files!

errormessage: mppdec: broken frame 1246/6855 (decoded size=4709, size in stream=4692)

i tried to use all2lame, MPxchange and foobar. but all programs report errors.
i also tried different mppdec versions, but without success.

winamp playing these files perfectly, so maybe just a few frames ar defective.

is there any other way, to convert these files to mp3?

Reply #1

But then perhaps Winamp can do it too?
In the old days it was possible to let Winamp use lame encoder instead of Diskwriter or whatever it was called. Maybe you would need a special compiled lame from rarewares in case there is any trouble passing the right parameters to lame.

/Edit: by the way, it's interesting you say that winamp can play these broken mpc perfectly. I've had an opposite experience, my broken files were skipping like hell and most never resync at all.

Reply #2

But then perhaps Winamp can do it too?
In the old days it was possible to let Winamp use lame encoder instead of Diskwriter or whatever it was called. Maybe you would need a special compiled lame from rarewares in case there is any trouble passing the right parameters to lame.

yes, but does winamp copy tags to the new files?
and is it possible to use it as a batchencoder?

Reply #3
If there are only three files you need to transcode, it should be trivial to manually tag them.

Reply #4
Let's crack the underlying issue...  why do your mpc files have errors?  Is your hard drive buggered?  Have you run memtest?  Maybe I'm just lucky but in 5 years of using MPC (with over 40,000 files) and transferring files from hard drive to hard drive, I've never had one file become corrupt.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #5
Why do you need a format change Nepomuk?

Honestly, I think you are just being foolishly influenced by people saying that Musepack is dead whatsoever, and that's too damn childish in my opinion (I don't mean to offend but it is true). Take a look around: if your good quality .mpc files are still played perfectly with Winamp or whatever other player you might have on your computer, I don't agree with a call for a change at this time. Besides the fact you already have a considerable number of ripped CD's, Musepack still stands a place in quality regards amongst all lossy encoders working at higher bitrates. And I tell you MP3 would not be the most clever choice if you are looking for quality at first place.

Don't worry about what other people say or think about what you use. Have you come to realize the most popular is not really always the best? That goes for MP3 usage as well.

Consider this.

Reply #6
I agree with prankstare, why follow the mp3 trend, maybe you have an mp3 player my bet it's iPod if so you use rockbox am I right which can play .MPC, seems like a waste of time to convert all music again.
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Reply #7
mpc ftw

Reply #8
Why do you need a format change Nepomuk?

Honestly, I think you are just being foolishly influenced by people saying that Musepack is dead whatsoever, and that's too damn childish in my opinion (I don't mean to offend but it is true). Take a look around: if your good quality .mpc files are still played perfectly with Winamp or whatever other player you might have on your computer, I don't agree with a call for a change at this time. Besides the fact you already have a considerable number of ripped CD's, Musepack still stands a place in quality regards amongst all lossy encoders working at higher bitrates. And I tell you MP3 would not be the most clever choice if you are looking for quality at first place.

Don't worry about what other people say or think about what you use. Have you come to realize the most popular is not really always the best? That goes for MP3 usage as well.

Consider this.

In the last 180k test mp3 is on par with mpc. Now this high bitrate stuff I keep hearing from so many mpc proponents. How high are we talking ?  Lets say : How many problems do we have at 'braindead' setting of other encoders ? Seriously how many do we have with LAME @ 280 k abr, let alone vorbis / aac @ 280k that actually sound like problems ?

Popular isn't the best ? maybe. MPC still has a place ? Sure.  MP3 not clever for quality ? Prove it. Like I said take your 'braindead' mpc against LAME 'braindead' --preset 280 and find me more than a few real problems.

Reply #9
I agree with prankstare, why follow the mp3 trend, maybe you have an mp3 player my bet it's iPod if so you use rockbox am I right which can play .MPC, seems like a waste of time to convert all music again.

Well you are mostly right wasting time converting unless one really needs too. But isn't it also a waste of time to encode to mpc in the first place considering many people here have trouble with lame -V5 @ 130 k.? Several years ago you could say the same for 150k ABR. Those with high skill could find flaws with @ 190k and in some less common cases mp3 didn't sound good. But then a few cases were found with mpc that didn't sound good at similar bitrate and many mpc user encoder at 250k and higher to avoid some rare failure. Funny thing is what are the chances of being burned by some nasty ass sample on a *CD* if we match bitrates ? - say a recent LAME encoder between VBR -V0 and 320k , --preset 280 aka 'mp3 braindead'. Samples that are killer and heard outside abx tests.

Reply #10
Let's crack the underlying issue...  why do your mpc files have errors?  Is your hard drive buggered?  Have you run memtest?  Maybe I'm just lucky but in 5 years of using MPC (with over 40,000 files) and transferring files from hard drive to hard drive, I've never had one file become corrupt.

Yep. All the signs of dying hardware.

Reply #11
I don't mean to get all technical on this, shadowking, even because I now lack of good wording for it (or knowledge, suit yourself, hehe). And I didn't say Musepack is "better" than MP3 or vice-versa at least not in this thread no (or not YET, haha).

All I wanted to say is that the guy was going to do something wrong MAYBE for no good reason, which is the transcoding thingie he said. That's all.