Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HE-AAC on Nokia Phones (Read 6429 times) previous topic - next topic

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Coding Technologies, world leading provider of audio compression for mobile, broadcasting and the Internet, today announced a major licensing deal with Nokia. The agreement enables Nokia to incorporate Coding Technologies’ internationally standardized aacPlus audio codec in future Nokia products.

Coding Technologies confirms that aacPlus, the world’s most efficient audio compression scheme, has already been adopted by mobile operators like SK Telecom, Vodafone and mmO2 for their mobile music services, which are expected to drive the market as the next killer application for 2.5 and 3G networks. By offering highest audio quality at lowest bit rates, aacPlus is the enabling factor for the technical and economic feasibility of such services.

Operators can expect a broad operational availability of aacPlus for their service offerings like music downloads, streaming or true-music ring tones. aacPlus is a part of the open standards world and is fully specified in MPEG-4.

“As world’s leader in mobile communications, Nokia has tremendous influence on the direction of the mobile industry”, says Oliver Kunz, Vice President Strategic Marketing at Coding Technologies. “We are very excited to provide aacPlus to Nokia and we look forward to this new era of mobile multimedia.”
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #2
Good News. I hope there will also be a new firmware for the Nokia 6230, which enables HE-AAC.

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #3
I only wish that my Nokia 6230 - that I bought a couple of weeks ago - supported HE-AAC. I've been agonizing about this ever since I bought it. I can't fit many songs on my 256MB MMC card if I want to retain high quality, since it only supports MP3 and LC AAC.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #4
I wonder if they add Ogg Vorbis support...

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #5
Should a Nokia 6230 be able to play a HE-AAC file? Ive been transcoding from MP3's to 64kbit AAC files for my Nokia 6230 and been using Nero with the VBR Streaming Medium profile. Ive set encoder quality to High and AAC profile to HE-AAC. The files play fine and the quality is acceptable. What is the side effect of playing a HE-AAC file on a device that only supports LC-AAC?

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #6
Good News. I hope there will also be a new firmware for the Nokia 6230, which enables HE-AAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224879"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Forget it. Nokia (almost) never add new functionality through firmware updates. Heck, they even almost never release new firmware that fixes known bugs.

Does the 6230 have stereo output btw?
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #7
What is the side effect of playing a HE-AAC file on a device that only supports LC-AAC?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225087"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only the non-SBR portion of the file is played back. At 64kbps, this means that HE-AAC will play back like a 22.05Khz, 64kbps LC-AAC file on a plain LC-AAC decoder. The resulting playback will sound "dull," as it will be missing the SBR-encoded high frequency data from 11Khz and up.

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #8
Does the 6230 have stereo output btw?

Yes, it does.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #9
Heck, they even almost never release new firmware that fixes known bugs.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225090"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They release firmware updates but updates are only available through service centers and it costs to have your software updated (unless your warranty covers it).

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #10
What is the side effect of playing a HE-AAC file on a device that only supports LC-AAC?

Only the non-SBR portion of the file is played back. At 64kbps, this means that HE-AAC will play back like a 22.05Khz, 64kbps LC-AAC file on a plain LC-AAC decoder. The resulting playback will sound "dull," as it will be missing the SBR-encoded high frequency data from 11Khz and up.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225095"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So it's better to make a LC-AAC instead of a HE-AAC for the 6230?

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #11
Another question: Is Coding Technologies' aacPlus the same as Aheads HE-AAC, used in the 32 kbps listening test?  AFAIK, these are different implementations, rigth?

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #12
Another question: Is Coding Technologies' aacPlus the same as Aheads HE-AAC, used in the 32 kbps listening test?  AFAIK, these are different implementations, rigth?
yes, its the same
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #13
yes, its the same
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226328"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These are different implementations, but the format is the same.

And no, I didn't test CT's implementation in my test.

CodingTechnologies insists on using aacPlus because they have ™ over this name (among other possible reasons)

HE-AAC on Nokia Phones

Reply #14

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225095"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So it's better to make a LC-AAC instead of a HE-AAC for the 6230?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226265"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.

With the right plugin a 64kbps HE-AAC file can almost sound as good as a 128kbps file. Since the Nokia 6230 can't play HE-AAC correctly it won't sound like 128kbps, but more likely 64kbps. You could compare it with MP3 and MP3 Pro. Cygnus X1 described it well.