Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Connecting computer to CRT television (Read 9164 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting computer to CRT television

I want to connect my  computer: Dell OptiPlex GX260. I have a video card with a VGA connection. My TV is a Sony, Model KV-20TS30. It has an SVideo as well as an RCA connector. How would I connect this, and what kind of picture could I expect? I want to use this for watching video.

I only have one VGA connection on the video card for my TV. Can I get a switch to choose the output for the computer monitor and the TV?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Reply #1
That's a desktop computer, right?  Your best option would be to get a video card that has a composite and/or S-Video output.  that should allow you to choose either or both video outputs in software.

Or, you can get a VGA-to-Composite Video Adapter.  I don't know what kind of quality you can expect.  (I bought one of these for my laptop, but I haven't tried it yet....  And my antique analog TV has rather poor video quality anyway...)

And, you'll need a 'KVM' switch or A/B Switch, or a 'Y'-Adapter to run both at the same time.

Reply #2
That's a desktop computer, right?  Your best option would be to get a video card that has a composite and/or S-Video output.  that should allow you to choose either or both video outputs in software.

Or, you can get a VGA-to-Composite Video Adapter.  I don't know what kind of quality you can expect.  (I bought one of these for my laptop, but I haven't tried it yet....  And my antique analog TV has rather poor video quality anyway...)

And, you'll need a 'KVM' switch or A/B Switch, or a 'Y'-Adapter to run both at the same time.

I've worked with inexpensive VGA to composite adaptors, and found that they do a really good job given that the basic quality of composite is pretty horrible compared to VGA.  I've also found that expensive pro-quality hardware of this nature is really not that much better.

The problem is that as we both know, composite video is limited to really low bandwidth, and visually that means a lot of fuzz gets added.

Most of the VGA-to-composite adaptors I've used incorporate a splitter function so that you can run both displays at the same time without any extras.  IOW, they have a VGA output that parallels the VGA input and doesn't unduely load down the source (PC).

Reply #3
I've worked with inexpensive VGA to composite adaptors, and found that they do a really good job given that the basic quality of composite is pretty horrible compared to VGA.  I've also found that expensive pro-quality hardware of this nature is really not that much better.

The problem is that as we both know, composite video is limited to really low bandwidth, and visually that means a lot of fuzz gets added.

Most of the VGA-to-composite adaptors I've used incorporate a splitter function so that you can run both displays at the same time without any extras.  IOW, they have a VGA output that parallels the VGA input and doesn't unduely load down the source (PC).

Thanks for the replies.
Would an adaptor that connected from the vga to the SVideo on the TV be better quality.
I found this on the Internet, does anyone have experiece with this ( from Squidoo); it connects to SVdeo  or composite? Other suggestions?
Squidoo

Reply #4
Would an adaptor that connected from the vga to the SVideo on the TV be better quality
I dont' know.  Whenever I have a choice I'll choose S-Video because it's supposed to be "better".  But, I've never done any A/B experiments and I've never noticed any difference... I've never said, "Boy, that looks sharp it must be S-Video".  I think the basic specs are the same...  S-Video doesn't have higher resolution. 

Like Arnold said, you're not going to get computer-monitor quality in either case.

I found this on the Internet, does anyone have experiece with this ( from Squidoo); it connects to SVdeo or composite? Other suggestions?
That $29 one looks identical to the one I got from Monoprice.  Like I said, I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe I'll hook it up this weekend. 

Arnold was right about another thing...  It has a VGA splitter/passthrough built-in so you DON'T need an A/B or KVM switch to use it along with your regular monitor. (This is not an issue with my laptop.)

Reply #5
OK, I tried the VGA to composite adapter.  On my (old) TV, I don't see any difference between a DVD played on my DVD player and the DVD played on the computer.

The picture does look very "fuzzy" with normal-sized computer text, but the larger DVD-munu text is "readable".

Reply #6

Thanks for the replies.
Would an adaptor that connected from the vga to the SVideo on the TV be better quality.

Yes.

S-Video provides some advantage over regular coax analog video/

Component video does even more for you.

I found this on the Internet, does anyone have experiece with this ( from Squidoo); it connects to SVdeo  or composite? Other suggestions?
Squidoo

No, but Unless they've figured out how to circumvent the laws of physics...

I give them points for being honest about their projected results.

Reply #7
Its fairly easy, any vga switch will work for you.
Jennifer