Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trouble Playing MP3 Files In Car (Read 9802 times) previous topic - next topic

Trouble Playing MP3 Files In Car

Recently got a new head unit for my car that can play media through a USB drive. It worked great until recently. Some of the MP3 files won't play. It's not just a few here and there, it's that certain artists and albums won't play at all. These songs weren't downloaded individually, I downloaded whole albums at a time. All files are MP3. Most all of them are 320kbps. None of them have DRM protection. Every song has track, album, and artist info. When comparing a song that won't play to another one that will, I cannot for the life of me find any differences that would account for this in the properties. Any ideas?

Reply #1
Try MP3 Diags.

Reply #3
What specs does your car sterep say it'll play? Some have very odd quirks, like not coping with filenames longer than a certain length etc.

You say it worked until recently. Do you mean the files that won't play used to play? If so, is the USB stick ok or maybe corrupted? Otherwise try removing all tags/cover art and see what happens

Reply #4
I used to have a personal player that would not cope with ID3-v2 tags but they're not exactly new so a new player should deal with them. +1 on the "remove tags" suggestion. You probably only need to remove all tags from one file, then play around with tags to see if you can "break" it (or "mend" it by removing them).

Reply #5
For anyone wondering, I figured out the issue. It wasn't tags or anything like that. Turns out, my new stereo has a maximum file limit. I can only have up to 1,024 individual files that will be read on each drive. Anything exceeding that will not be read. Unfortunately, this means my collection will need to be partitioned into far more usb drives than I had first intended.

If anyone happens across this forum and is having a similar issue, check the owners manual for your head unit to see if it has a file limit.