Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC error correction question (Read 11564 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC error correction question

Hey guys,

I have been using EAC for many years. I'm currently using V0.95b3, in fact I guess that's the version I always used. Never gave me any problem

However, there's a concern I've always had and never managed to figure it out. I think now is the time.

Is it normal to ALWAYS get the error correction bar to work at some tracks on a CD ? I mean, even if the CD is in PERFECT conditions (brand new), I always get the red error correction bar working a bit on some tracks (always at the end of them).

Like I said, I have burned TONS of CDs (mostly of them at perfect conditions) but I always get the error correction bar working at the end of like 2-5 tracks on each CD. Hence, I always get 99.9 quality on those 2-5 tracks per CD. The rest is 100% quality at the final report. I have never got a FULL result of 100% track quality on ANY of all the cds I burned, the error correction always appears on some tracks even if the CD is perfect.

My question is, is this normal ? Is it something techinal regarding about EAC/drives that needs to do it at the end of some tracks ?

Any comment would be really appreciated

Thanks!!

Reply #1
It's perfectly normal; an annoying side effect from the way EAC specifically requests and utilizes discrete chunks of data in order to satisfy its internal requirements to ensure secure ripping.

If your concern is the data on burned CDs, just compare ripped data from the newly created CD-R/RW against the source data used to create it.  Be sure to account for offsets and the possible lack of preservation of the edge samples from either end of the disc due to an inability to overread/overwrite.

Reply #2
I've had the same "problem". It seems to be related to detection of gaps between tracks. I use burst (copy+test) since AccurateRip integration and switch to secure ripping only when some tracks don't match AR and fail the test.

Reply #3
Same here, sometimes I get the first row of the red box even at tracks on a brand new disc (EAC v1.0b3). It should be normal and no problem to quality.

Reply #4
It seems to be related to detection of gaps between tracks.

I've seen no such correlation.  EAC reads subcode information as a separate process, so I don't see how the existence of a 00 index has anything to do with it.  I think it has to do with the fact that EAC overlaps 2MB burst reads in order to check for synchronization problems (when EAC is told the drive has the accurate stream feature) and pass/fail criteria was not met to determine if re-reads are necessary when the end of a track is reached because of the length of the track.

Back to whether or not this is of any concern:
http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audio-copy...very-track.html

Reply #5
Thanks guys! I kinda knew that it must be something normal, but I wanted to make sure with the right people