Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Use default album/track artist display style but with custom fields? (Read 2685 times) previous topic - next topic

Use default album/track artist display style but with custom fields?

Hey Folks,

I use foobar since ages and I always managed to make it do what I want, which is having a nicely sorted music library.

I just bought an Ipod and since this stupid thing doesnt sort by album artist, I did the following:

write all %artist% (that is track artist% to a new field called %trackartist% then write all %album artist% to %artist% so that my ipod doesnt look messy.
Now, I want to reproduce Foobars old behaviour in my playlist view, which has following (relevant) default columns:

Artist/album | Title / track artist

The latter one gives the track title and then checks if %album artist% and %artist% are different and if so gives %artist%, if not, doesnt do anything.
Now of course, they are always the same, I want it to compare %album artist% and my new field %trackartist%.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

or :
NOT %album artist% IS %trackartist%

maybe??

Thanks for your help and maybe this even helped some people in dealing with their ipod, after googling I found some people had this issue;)

Reply #1
No need to mess with scripting or to use wrong artist tags. Those iDevices sort by ARTISTSORTORDER and ALBUMSORTORDER if they exist, so just write Album Artist into the former field. I use the latter field to sort albums in release order by writing %date% - %album% in it.

Reply #2
assuming your artist field is never blank, i.e. you never only set the trackartist tag:
artist | title / $if($strcmp(artist,trackartist),,trackartist)

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick replies !

No need to mess with scripting or to use wrong artist tags. Those iDevices sort by ARTISTSORTORDER and ALBUMSORTORDER

Wow, ok. I didnt know that! All of them do? I have a classic 5th generation one...
that of course is the best solution.

artist | title / $if($strcmp(artist,trackartist),,trackartist)

Cheers for that mate, I prefer the above solution, but hey one day I'll use those lines starting with a $...