Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp going away (Read 81763 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp going away

Posted on their media player page, http://www.winamp.com/media-player

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Winamp going away

Reply #1
WTF? I mean, I didn't use it in the past 10 years (at least) but I am sure millions of people still use the player and the ShoutCast service right?

So...no .16 with the fixed bug eh? http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=842911 Ohh...so, 5.66 just released has .16, nice.

Chris, will FhG DLL be available after Winamp?

Obligatory video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ceHzA5hSE

Winamp going away

Reply #2
Very very sad.

Despite all the criticism Winamp is one of the best players and thanks to its pioneering was a source of inspiration to many programmers.

Long live Winamp!
loquor mee menti: factus de materia, cinis elementi...

Winamp going away

Reply #3
Would it have been any different if it was not sold to AOL (was $50M?), I think it is hard to compete on the main stage against iTunes.

Winamp going away

Reply #4
Ohh...so, 5.66 just released has .16, nice.

Chris, will FhG DLL be available after Winamp?

Fraunhofer (still) have no influence on that, we just provide a codec library, and Nullsoft/AOL create the DLL. You could ask them if it's OK to post the DLL on HA's upload forum after Christmas (and meanwhile I'll ask my former boss what Fraunhofer thinks about that).

Btw, I'm just as surprised as you are about this complete halt of development. Glad I managed to get some very-low-rate CBR tunings into the 03.02.16.

Quote from: spoon link=msg=0 date=
was $50M?

Over $80M it seems.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Winamp going away

Reply #5
That's sad. Farewell good old friend.

Winamp going away

Reply #6
Well, that's unfortunate. Never used it but a few friends did and still do; it was good software. Guess a whole new infux of foobar2000 users is coming!

Winamp going away

Reply #7
I still use it as my music player on Windows, although all I ever use it for is checking rips and similar duties. I don't use a computer for music playback.

Winamp going away

Reply #8
I stopped using it when I jumped ship to Linux. It served me very well while I was on Windows.

Winamp going away

Reply #9
If they're just going to "throw it away", I'll give 'em $100 for the source code! 

Winamp going away

Reply #10
R.I.P.
"I hear it when I see it."

Winamp going away

Reply #11
I can't say I know anyone who's used it within the last decade, but I sure can remember cutting my teeth on it (in the days before it had a library feature) (specifically, I remember listening to 30-second MP3s from Amazon of NIN's The Fragile on some ancient Windows 98 machine...)

Pretty sad in a nostalgic kind of way, but with foobar2000, I have a hard time getting too broken up about it.

Winamp going away

Reply #12
*looks for benski*

Good night, sweet prince.

Winamp was what I switched to foobar from.

Winamp going away

Reply #13
It was so abruptly discontinued, with no explanation provided.
And so many updates .... What's the point, if the product end like this.

Winamp going away

Reply #14
The SHOUTcast D.N.A.S. kinda spurred the creation of indie internet radio stations.

I wonder what will happen to things that use DNAS and all that. As far as I know, people were working on a SHOUTcast2 application, etc. The whole Winamp radio and Winamp TV is gonna die with it. So, I guess this whole side of things get's lost as well...

I wonder if things like quick and easy alternatives are gonna surface for making a simple stream, so people don't necessarily have to deal with things like Icecast or Liquidsoap.

Winamp going away

Reply #15
One other thing I forgot in my previous post: The Winamp.com forums.

Granted, a forum like Hydrogenaudio goes more into technicalities, etc. but the Winamp forums were pretty good for beginners. And I mean all kinds of beginners. People that started doing audio streaming, live recordings, multi-channel recordings, etc. Countless DJs have asked questions and presented their solutions there. Things like how to set up a quick video stream with balanced quality towards audio, or how to update subtitles on-the-fly in a video stream.

The main sad thing, though: No matter how basic, beginner level all that might be, all that get's lost.

Winamp going away

Reply #16
R.I.P.
I only used Winamp in the 90s and early 2000s.

I wonder what will happen to things that use DNAS and all that. As far as I know, people were working on a SHOUTcast2 application, etc. The whole Winamp radio and Winamp TV is gonna die with it. So, I guess this whole side of things get's lost as well...

Icecast is a nice alternative and supports Vorbis,Opus+VP8.

Winamp going away

Reply #17
This really whips the llama's ass.

Winamp going away

Reply #18
Time to fire up the debugger again.

Winamp going away

Reply #19
stopping development is one thing but shutting down the whole site and forums with a months notice is a bit extreme. surely they could have let things come to a more graceful end than that?

Winamp going away

Reply #20
time for foobar to brighten up the default config ("first use experience", which is absolutely not acceptable, none of those prebuilt themes, because not everyone is a poweruser who builds his own theme with columnsUI) and get all those ex-winampers

Winamp going away

Reply #21
time for foobar to brighten up the default config

I second that! Foobar needs an easier, more colorful default GUI for beginners.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Winamp going away

Reply #22
Icecast is a nice alternative and supports Vorbis,Opus+VP8.

Read my post to the end:
I wonder if things like quick and easy alternatives are gonna surface for making a simple stream, so people don't necessarily have to deal with things like Icecast or Liquidsoap.

As the creator of the T4E streaming system, yes - I know about Icecast...

Winamp going away

Reply #23
time for foobar to brighten up the default config

I second that! Foobar needs an easier, more colorful default GUI for beginners.

Chris

i'd have to disagree. i like the fact foobar obeys my windows theme when it comes to styling. there are plenty of alternatives if people don't like that.

besides, winamp is going to work for years to come. perhaps a future version of windows will break it but that's a long time off yet.

Winamp going away

Reply #24
I think real beginners are just using WMP, iTunes or something.
As an alternative player, I'd rather recommend MusicBee.