Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Usage of different offset methods (Read 3472 times) previous topic - next topic

Usage of different offset methods

1)
Am I right asuming that:

[read offset] - [combined offset] = [write offset]

2)
Am I right asuming that using combined offset makes little sense because you have to write the cd from the same drive to be at all correct and because you file is actually not correct before you burn it.
My conclusion must be that you must use read offset normally and if you should ever want to burn the cd you use write offset.

Reply #1
1) no, it's the opposite :
Comb Offset = write + read

therefore Read - Comb = -Write, not Write

2)
-Yes, it will only work with the very burner from which the combined offset was derived.
-The file should be no more correct with combined or read offset, exept if it comes from a CDR you mastered yourself with offset correction. The correctness of the file will in fact depend on the "press offset" that the CD originally got in the factory.
But in both cases (combi or separate offset correction), the copy won't be offsetted from the original.
Apart from this original/copy offset, if you want a perfect result, start with checking the tracks layout in a wav editor ! The mastering process of pressed Cds isn't that much accurate.

Reply #2
It's quite a mess with offsets.
I use my corrected read offset (+86) and rip my CDs and overread into leadin, burn with EAC with corrected write offset (+6) overwriting into leadin.
bleh, well it should be close to the original CD structure, but not many drives can overread/overwrite, neither be used with EAC for burning

Reply #3
If your read offset correction is +86, you should overread into lead-out !