Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is foobar ever going to be opensource (Read 19310 times) previous topic - next topic

is foobar ever going to be opensource

Reply #25
If it ever gets BSD licensed, I might go try to pick up my C skills again, and try to replace the default GUI with some console shell.
  That would be cool.  Maybe if you talked to Peter something could be worked out?

Regardless, that reminds me of a friend of mine from college.  He hated GUIs, but ran Enlightenment.  So I asked him why, and he said "So I can have more shells, of course".  His desktop used to be literally covered with shells.  The only real GUI program he used were Mozilla and GAIM.

- Agent 86

Reply #26
foobar# play e:\music\mp3\blah.mp3

*GG*

Reply #27
well I use "gplay E:\music\bla.mp3".

It uses DirectShow to play the files, and you can find it with a lot of other cool unix utilities on "unxutils.sf.net"

Reply #28
Probably a hassle.  The core is where a lot (most?) of the changes would need to take place.  It wouldn't be a simple transition, I don't believe.

I hope this isn't too stupid a question but could you explain why the core would need most of the changes? Is this still true now that the core and the GUI are separated in 0.7?

The lack of good music players on linux is one of a number of reasons I haven't converted for day to day use.

Reply #29
Probably a hassle.  The core is where a lot (most?) of the changes would need to take place.  It wouldn't be a simple transition, I don't believe.

I hope this isn't too stupid a question but could you explain why the core would need most of the changes? Is this still true now that the core and the GUI are separated in 0.7?

The lack of good music players on linux is one of a number of reasons I haven't converted for day to day use.

Good lord, the lack of good media players under linux is the ONLY reason i ever consider going to windows.

Peter, have pity on us poor linux folk. :'(

Reply #30
for the audio backend, I would suggest SDL because it is much more cross platform than any of the others, hell, it even runs on windows, so an SDL output plugin would be a good idea and an important step toward a linux version.

True, but it can't compete with the sound quality of ALSA/JACK

JACK is used for low latency systems and ALSA has the most advanced features around, like mapping channels to another (e.g. sp/dif support)
to bring the pieces back together we need to rediscover communication.

Reply #31
OH YES... a linux all in one bash player.. that would so rock...

i hate it having to type a different command for mp3 , wav or ogg (mpg123, play, ogg123)

please make this happen... *G*

and seeking in files would be new to me too

cplay is your friend...

cplay kicks some ass, thanks for the link.

Reply #32
Foobar is so heavily based on windows a Linux/BSD port would just be an entire X re-write, you might as well make your own player that *clones* foobar, because thats the best you're going to do. The Input plugins are probably the only ones that would be cross platform, all GUI plugins have to specialized, all output plugins have to be specialized.

Just my two cents.

Reply #33
If it ever gets BSD licensed, I might go try to pick up my C skills again, and try to replace the default GUI with some console shell.
  That would be cool.  Maybe if you talked to Peter something could be worked out?

Regardless, that reminds me of a friend of mine from college.  He hated GUIs, but ran Enlightenment.  So I asked him why, and he said "So I can have more shells, of course".  His desktop used to be literally covered with shells.  The only real GUI program he used were Mozilla and GAIM.

- Agent 86

Why not use Lynx and NAIM, haha.

Reply #34
True, but it can't compete with the sound quality of ALSA/JACK

JACK is used for low latency systems and ALSA has the most advanced features around, like mapping channels to another (e.g. sp/dif support)

but why use a soundserver?
alsa has a nice plugin, that a soundserver isn't needed any more, it's called dmix.

or has it any advantages to use jack?

mfg z421