Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 5.1 playable with Stereo equipment? (Read 4719 times) previous topic - next topic

5.1 playable with Stereo equipment?

I currently have a stereo set-up, but am currently looking to purchase 5.1 speakers.

My question is: If I was to rip one of my various DVDa's to the 5.1 format, would I be able to hear a normal stereo version of the same file using my current set up? Or should I rip the Stereo mix (also available on the DVDa) in the mean time?

I essentially want to rip in minimal amounts of time (and listen to it before I get my new set up!)

p.s. I figured this had been discussed on the forum many times, but couldn't get any results with my keywords - sorry if this has been discussed to death somewhere before!
F*ck the police.

Reply #1
I currently have a stereo set-up, but am currently looking to purchase 5.1 speakers.

My question is: If I was to rip one of my various DVDa's to the 5.1 format, would I be able to hear a normal stereo version of the same file using my current set up?

No.  Depending on your setup, you will hear either JUST the left and right channel content, or you will hear a downmix of 6 channels into two.  Neither will sound like the original stereo mix.

Or should I rip the Stereo mix (also available on the DVDa) in the mean time?

I essentially want to rip in minimal amounts of time (and listen to it before I get my new set up!)

For a 2-channel setup, you should rip the Stereo mix.

Reply #2
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks nevertheless! 
F*ck the police.