Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC 0.95 beta 4 + AccurateRip: how to re-calculate offset? (Read 6468 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC 0.95 beta 4 + AccurateRip: how to re-calculate offset?

I'm still using the old version of EAC, where you had to manually "install" and configure AccurateRip.
My simple question is now: it is possible to let AccurateRip detect the drive offset again after this has been done before? Removing the AccurateRip.dll from the EAC directory and copying it again simply doesnt work, there is no dialog coming up when starting EAC the next time.

Yes, and don't ask why I want to do this.    I know that the offset results will never change once detected. But now I want AccurateRip to detect the offsets again.

Reply #2
Yes, and don't ask why I want to do this.    I know that the offset results will never change once detected. But now I want AccurateRip to detect the offsets again.

I just want it. 

Just imagine you delete EAC from your HDD and re-install it after a while. The AccurateRip results are still present, you can never start "from the scratch"...so imho there's missing a function to delecte all AccurateRip options/settings from your computer.

Reply #4
OK, found it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\CD-DriveSampleOffset-....

It's strange anyway. When I uninstall AccurateRip properly, then these registry entries are not deleted at all. Why they deploy it with an installer when you can't uninstall it completely. 

However, thanks a lot, greynol.

Reply #6
It's strange anyway. When I uninstall AccurateRip properly, then these registry entries are not deleted at all. Why they deploy it with an installer when you can't uninstall it completely. 

Some programmers are masochists who enjoy making the users search for those oh so easily traceable registry entries, if it's about completely removing an application. It would be no fun to rely on simple .ini files found in the installation directory.

Reply #8
off topic: Ideally every installer should ask the user during removal whether he wants to keep the old settings, but unfortunately that's rarely the case with a lot of software.

Reply #9
As on now, no one uses the AccurateRip installer.

You gain nothing by removing that registy entry, it is < 100 bytes in the registry.

Reply #11
You gain nothing by removing that registy entry, it is < 100 bytes in the registry.

Many people distributing their software with an installer think the same way, which is exactly why I think I would gain something if it were different.  edit: greynol, was faster. 

Besides some people simply don't want their old settings back after removal/re-install.

Reply #12
As on now, no one uses the AccurateRip installer.

No? But on the official page you can't download only the dll. Or have I overseen something?

Reply #13
Maybe he was referring to third parties, like Andre Wiethoff distributing the dll with his software.

Actually it would be the duty of the one who writes the installer script to take such precautions. In your case it would be the task of the EAC installer to wipe out all settings, also those of third party software, if that were the thing Andre had in mind for it to do, which he obviously hadn't for some (good) reasons.

I have also seen another solution where there was a meta-installer firing up third party installers for the supporting components the main program needed. Examples are (or were) Ethereal and Gordian Knot. Of course, in these cases it's beyond the main software developer's control how the child-installers behave when they're removing their software.

EDIT: My general advice is to make yourself a .reg script for the software that leaves behind some residue in your user registry and that you need to have deleted regularly or occasionally.

Reply #15
The installer does not know the name of the drive key as it depends on the drive. We do have a system to total clearing:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13285

but that would not clear accuraterips local cache in %appdata%\accuraterip

Good to know. Logical that the AR files in some other applications' directory stay intouched.

Maybe this is something for the knowledgebase...