Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Split single FLAC with .cue without converting? (Read 65889 times) previous topic - next topic

Split single FLAC with .cue without converting?

How can I split an album that is a single FLAC file without conversion?  In the past I would drop the .cue file into Foobar, then select all the tracks and convert them to FLAC or mp3.

In another program, MusicBee, single FLAC files are automatically split when you open the program.  It preserves playcount, tags, etc.

In Foobar, when you drop the .cue it splits them - but when you close the program and reopen it, all those files are lost.  It goes back to the single FLAC file.

Thanks

Reply #1
How can I split an album that is a single FLAC file without conversion?  In the past I would drop the .cue file into Foobar, then select all the tracks and convert them to FLAC or mp3.

In another program, MusicBee, single FLAC files are automatically split when you open the program.  It preserves playcount, tags, etc.

In Foobar, when you drop the .cue it splits them - but when you close the program and reopen it, all those files are lost.  It goes back to the single FLAC file.

Thanks

You must have cue file, then add cue to playlist. Next step: "select all", then use rmb - Utilites/Write apl links. Now you have numbers of .apl  files equal number of song in your .cue file. You can change any tagg in .apl file and initial flac file not changed.

Reply #2
Showing individual tracks from a single file image is not the same as splitting the file into separate tracks. If you want to really physically split the files you will have to re-encode. You can store some tag information for the tracks without splitting them but the feature is artificially restricted to a few common field in foobar2000.

APL files would let you save any tag field you wish but using them may complicate your media library handling. My recommendation would be to convert all single file images to proper separate tracks and you would never have to deal with any compromises.

Reply #3
How is MusicBee splitting the single FLAC album then?  I can edit all the tags in MusicBee.

Reply #4
I'm not familiar with MusicBee but it could store the tags in a database or it could simply edit the cuesheet and store any info there without the restrictions put into foobar2000. There's nothing technical that prevents foobar2000 from saving the info with single file tracks. It's just a design decision not to abuse cue sheet format for things it was not meant for.

Reply #5
You could always use a program that is designed for this.
Medieval CUE Splitter (PC) - Medieval Software
Search that, as i don't know if links are allowed here.
Don't Ask!!!! I never existed...

Reply #6
bubanee, the OP didn't phrase his question very well. He wants a certain behavior from foobar2000's playlist when it reads an image+cue. He does not want to actually split his image+cue into separate track files.

Also, if you use that tool you recommended to split without conversion, as the OP wants, it will remove a split-second of audio at each track boundary, because it chops on FLAC frame boundaries, which rarely line up with CD sector boundaries. I doubt that's what anyone really wants.

Reply #7
I took your advice and ended up just converting them.  I converted them from FLAC to FLAC which is what I usually do.

Couple of things I noticed when comparing to some of my other FLAC albums.

I actually have one album that was not converted into single tracks, but in Foobar the tracks are separate..?  I wonder what is the difference between this album and the one that only worked in MusicBee?  When I select one of the tracks in Foobar and press 'open containing folder' it points to the single FLAC file.

I have another album which I remember converting.  I left the single FLAC file in it's original folder with the converted single tracks.  When opening Foobar, it just shows the single tracks.  With the album I JUST ripped, it is showing the single FLAC file (40 minutes long) and the single tracks (40 minutes) long - meaning their are two copies of the album.  I could just delete the single FLAC, but why does this other album I have not show the single FLAC?

Reply #8
Ok...  A lot of my single FLAC albums have the tracks split in Foobar.  I never noticed because it just worked...

So why does this one album not split in Foobar, but in MusicBee it does?

Why did these others single FLAC albums split just fine when I never dropped the cuesheet and converted the files?

I don't understand.  All these single FLAC albums have playcounts, full tag support, album art, etc.

Help!

Reply #9
I think the FLAC-albums which you see splitted in the foobar-playlist have an integrated cue-sheet in the tag. You can view and edit it e.g. with Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/).
Integrate a cue-sheet in the tag of the single-FLAC file (I'm sorry, I can't name you a tool for that) and you do not need split the file.
Ok?
(I hope my Enlish was good enough to understand and answer your question...) 

Reply #10
Well all my FLAC files have cue-sheet.  So I need a program to integrate it?

Reply #11
I don't want to read everything, just my 2 thoughts when thinking about problems with cue recognition in foobar:
1. foobar relies on proper
FILE "image_name.flac" WAVE
entry in cue sheet. Often instead of "image_name.flac" you can find "image_name.wav", despite you have .flac on HDD. It may be that MusicBee is for example able to check for other lossless or even lossy formats when it does not find '>wav" file. Just open cue sheet with Notepad and examine it. If it is set improperly, simply change it and use "Ctrl+S" in Notepad.

2. Maybe MusicBee handles cue sheets basing also on file names. There was a plugin for Winamp which allowed playing cue sheet referenced track. It relied ONLY on the fact that cue sheet and image file had exactly the same name and different file extension. In such case it may handle particular cue, while fobar does not as it only relies on "FILE" entry.

Reply #13
I don't want to read everything, just my 2 thoughts when thinking about problems with cue recognition in foobar:
1. foobar relies on proper
FILE "image_name.flac" WAVE
entry in cue sheet. Often instead of "image_name.flac" you can find "image_name.wav", despite you have .flac on HDD. It may be that MusicBee is for example able to check for other lossless or even lossy formats when it does not find '>wav" file. Just open cue sheet with Notepad and examine it. If it is set improperly, simply change it and use "Ctrl+S" in Notepad.

2. Maybe MusicBee handles cue sheets basing also on file names. There was a plugin for Winamp which allowed playing cue sheet referenced track. It relied ONLY on the fact that cue sheet and image file had exactly the same name and different file extension. In such case it may handle particular cue, while fobar does not as it only relies on "FILE" entry.

Here are two examples.

FILE "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 1].flac" WAVE - this album automatically splits in MusicBee, but not in Foobar.  I have to convert it to single tracks in Foobar.
FILE "Creedence Clearwater Revival Bayou Country.flac" WAVE - this album automatically splits in MusicBee AND Foobar.  It is separate tracks in Foobar, with proper tags, with album art, with playcounts.

So... I don't understand?  They are both single FLAC files, but one does not split in Foobar.  I have to convert Stevie Wonder to get separate tracks.

Reply #14
What does the console say? View > Console

Reply #15
What does the console say? View > Console

Sorry for the late response...  been out of town.

Watching: C:\Music
Album list panel: initialised in 0.123 s
Autoplaylists initialized in: 0:00.112076
"Played once or more" : 0:00.112048
Failed to load DLL: foo_uie_sql_tree.dll, reason: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus. 
Startup time : 0:03.541946
Opening track for playback: "C:\Music\Stevie Wonder\Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life\cd2\Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac"

and for CCR...

Watching: C:\Music
Album list panel: initialised in 0.123 s
Autoplaylists initialized in: 0:00.112076
"Played once or more" : 0:00.112048
Failed to load DLL: foo_uie_sql_tree.dll, reason: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus. 
Startup time : 0:03.541946
Opening track for playback: "C:\Music\Stevie Wonder\Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life\cd2\Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac"
Opening track for playback: "C:\Music\CCR\Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country\Creedence Clearwater Revival Bayou Country.flac" / index: 1

Reply #16
oh yeah...

'Failed to load DLL: foo_uie_sql_tree.dll, reason: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus. '

No idea what is up with that.  Avast updated and then all of sudden it has labelled the sql component as a virus.  I got it off the official foobar site long ago so ignore that.

Reply #17
There's nothing after the file being opened about it being undecodable or corrupt or whatever? Or a problem with the cue sheet?

I'm just stabbing in the dark, here.

Let's back up a sec. Are you loading the cue sheet in foobar, or are you loading the flac and relying on its embedded cue sheet? If you right click on one of the tracks and go to Utilities > Edit cuesheet, you can see the embedded version.

Reply #18
There's nothing after the file being opened about it being undecodable or corrupt or whatever? Or a problem with the cue sheet?

I'm just stabbing in the dark, here.

Let's back up a sec. Are you loading the cue sheet in foobar, or are you loading the flac and relying on its embedded cue sheet? If you right click on one of the tracks and go to Utilities > Edit cuesheet, you can see the embedded version.

I copied exactly what it said from the console.  There is nothing about corruption or any errors.

Yes the cuesheet is embedded.

Here is another example.

CCR - single FLAC file, but splits properly in foobar and Music Bee.  Embedded cuesheet.

REM GENRE Swamp Rock, Southern Rock
REM DATE 1969
REM DISCID 6707FD07
REM COMMENT Fantasy Records #FCD 8387-2
PERFORMER "Creedence Clearwater Revival"
TITLE "Bayou Country"
FILE "CDImage.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Born On The Bayou"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Bootleg"
    INDEX 01 05:15:12
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Graveyard Train"
    INDEX 01 08:17:07
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Good Golly Miss Molly"
    INDEX 00 16:51:15
    INDEX 01 16:53:17
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Penthouse Pauper"
    INDEX 00 19:33:50
    INDEX 01 19:37:20
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Proud Mary"
    INDEX 00 23:14:07
    INDEX 01 23:17:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Keep On Chooglin'"
    INDEX 01 26:25:32

Stevie - single FLAC file that DOES NOT split properly in foobar, but DOES in Music BeeEmbedded cuesheet.

REM GENRE Soul, Funk
REM DATE 1976
REM DISCID 7D0A070A
REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3
PERFORMER "Stevie Wonder"
TITLE "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 1]"
FILE "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 1].flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Love's In Need Of Love Today"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Have A Talk With God"
    INDEX 00 07:05:62
    INDEX 01 07:05:65
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Village Ghetto Land"
    INDEX 01 09:48:20
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Contusion"
    INDEX 00 13:13:25
    INDEX 01 13:13:27
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Sir Duke"
    INDEX 00 16:59:22
    INDEX 01 16:59:25
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "I Wish"
    INDEX 00 20:52:07
    INDEX 01 20:53:32
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Knocks Me Off My Feet"
    INDEX 01 25:05:60
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Pastime Paradise"
    INDEX 00 28:42:17
    INDEX 01 28:42:20
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Summer Soft"
    INDEX 01 32:09:72
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ordinary Pain"
    INDEX 01 36:24:05

Reply #19
Before you edited it just now, all the tracks had the same title in the embedded Stevie Wonder cue sheet. Are you giving the files unique names in the converter (e.g. by including the track number in the name)? If no, then that's the problem...it's trying to create a file with the same name for each track. Or maybe there is an issue where it needs an explicit PERFORMER on every track. Experiment and see.

Reply #20
Before you edited it just now, all the tracks had the same title in the embedded Stevie Wonder cue sheet. Are you giving the files unique names in the converter (e.g. by including the track number in the name)? If no, then that's the problem...it's trying to create a file with the same name for each track. Or maybe there is an issue where it needs an explicit PERFORMER on every track. Experiment and see.

I edited my post because I wanted to try something user muxx suggested.  I opened the single FLAC file in mp3 tag, went to edit, then added field 'cuesheet' and copy pasted the cuesheet information in there, then saved it.  I noticed the rest of the single FLAC files that work properly, have the 'cuesheet' field in mp3 tag.

Anyway here is another comparison for you.

Rage Against the Machine.  Single FLAC file, splits fine in foobar and Music Bee.  It has the embedded cuesheet, I did nothing to it.

REM GENRE Alternative
REM DATE 1992
REM DISCID 950C670A
REM COMMENT EPIC Records #472224 2
PERFORMER "Rage Against The Machine"
TITLE "Rage Against The Machine"
FILE "CDImage.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Bombtrack"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Killing in the Name"
    INDEX 00 04:04:07
    INDEX 01 04:04:37
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Take the Power back"
    INDEX 00 09:18:37
    INDEX 01 09:18:52
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Settle for nothing"
    INDEX 00 14:54:65
    INDEX 01 14:55:62
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Bullet in the Head"
    INDEX 00 19:43:37
    INDEX 01 19:44:25
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Know your Enemy"
    INDEX 00 24:51:55
    INDEX 01 24:54:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Wake up"
    INDEX 00 29:49:02
    INDEX 01 29:49:42
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Fistful of Steel"
    INDEX 01 35:53:67
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Township Rebellion"
    INDEX 01 41:25:00
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Freedom"
    INDEX 01 46:49:35

Reply #21
Stevie - single FLAC file that DOES NOT split properly in foobar, but DOES in Music BeeEmbedded cuesheet.

I don't have Musicbee installed, but I can reproduce fb2k behaviour if I embed this cuesheet into a FLAC file that has total length less than 36:24:05.

Reply #22

Your flac's filename is "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac".

However, Your embedded cuesheet is "Disc 1".
I agree with lvqcl.
Please check your flac's playback length.

Reply #23

Your flac's filename is "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac".

However, Your embedded cuesheet is "Disc 1".
I agree with lvqcl.
Please check your flac's playback length.

Sorry if that confused.  I have the album split into disc 1 and 2.  Both have cuesheets so that is not the problem.

I don't understand what you guys mean about the length???

Reply #24
Please give me the following things:

(1) Playback length of "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac"

(2) Text of cuesheet embedded to "Songs In The Key Of Life [Disc 2].flac".
    please copy and paste from "Utilities > Edit cuesheet" in foobar2000.