Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Onboard MB Sound vs Schitt Modi? (Read 999 times) previous topic - next topic

Onboard MB Sound vs Schitt Modi?

Hi, I'm wondering if I'd notice a difference between my Onboard sound from my motherboard vs an External DAC such as the Schitt Modi. I use to be an amateur audio engineer and have a M-Audio ProFire 610 from back in the day. So getting into external DACs interests me.

My chain is
Realtek ALC98 > Mini-plug-RCA > Source Switching Box > AudioSource AMP100 > Speakers
The AMP100 contains volume and balance controls so no need for a preamp. I'm on a fixed income so if external DACs are just snake oil please let me know. I'm a member of AudioKarma and folks there talk constantly of the noise problem in desktops.

Of course I could also just throw the ProFire in the chain and let it do the job. I have a new PC with Windows 11. I used to be a Linux user and the ProFire wasn't well supported under Linux.

Thanks so much.

Re: Onboard MB Sound vs Schitt Modi?

Reply #1
and folks there talk constantly of the noise problem in desktops.
TRUE - You can have noise (hum, hiss or whine in the background).   But if you had audible noise you'd know it.   ;)

I had a soundcard once that had noise when the hard drive was accessed (or it was worse when the drive was accessed).

That's about the only thing to worry about.   Frequency response and distortion are almost always better than human hearing.

Or, sometimes a headphone load (which will have varying impedance over the frequency range) can cause related frequency response variations.

Note that USB power tends to be noisy and occasionally noise can get into the analog-side of a USB powered DAC through the power.   (Usually it's a "whine".)   A DAC with it's own separate power supply will avoid that possibility.

Reply #2
Note that USB power tends to be noisy and occasionally noise can get into the analog-side of a USB powered DAC through the power.   (Usually it's a "whine".)   A DAC with it's own separate power supply will avoid that possibility.

Looks like I have more thinks to consider. Thank you so much. For the time being, I'm getting another 3.5mm to RCA cable. On my current one, the 3.5mm end got bent.

As far as hard drive noise, I have a NVME SSD in my current PC build with no HDDs so that's a non-issue. At least I think it is. You may know more than me.

Reply #3
As far as hard drive noise, I have a NVME SSD in my current PC build with no HDDs so that's a non-issue. At least I think it is. You may know more than me.
Every computer is different and you're not complaining about noise from yours. ;)