Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help me get started with FLAC. (Read 2761 times) previous topic - next topic

Help me get started with FLAC.

Hi all. I keep reading about FLAC files, and would like to check them out. But I want to keep it as simple as possible. Ideally, would be the option to do like I do with MP3's. Rip a CD to a wav file, then drop it into LamedropXPD. For MP3's, I always use the latest, greatest Lame compile and newest Lamedrop. Almost always from Rarewares website. (Actually, always from Rarewares.)

So, is there a "Lamedrop" equivalent for FLAC. Does Lamedrop maybe even do FLAC? I'd prefer not to install, and learn, FooBar, just to experiment a little with FLAC.

Thanks all;
Artie

Re: Help me get started with FLAC.

Reply #1
I may have just answered my own question. I haven't played with EAC in awhile, and re-downloaded it. I notice that it says that it includes the latest FLAC package. So, I may already be where I need to be.   :))

Reply #3
Ah, thanks. I have some reading to do.  ;)

Reply #4
Andre Wiethoff developed another program with fewer settings that can rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time. Not free though.
http://www.easyaudiocopy.com/details.htm
korth

Reply #5
Looks interesting, but I'm pretty comfortable with AudioGrabber and EAC, even though I haven't used EAC in quite awhile. But let me ask another question: is FLAC kinda like MP3 in that it's simply a DLL, or somesuch, that you select as the output encoder? Or, is it more complicated than that?

Well . . . I'm lurking here while simultaneously reading the wiki you linked to. Again, I think I see the answer. I don't multi-task all that well.  :D

Reply #6
Andre Wiethoff developed another program with fewer settings that can rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time. Not free though.
http://www.easyaudiocopy.com/details.htm

On the other hand, I only want to rip a CD or two, in order to play with FLAC. I can try that for 14-days for free. Is the 14-day version full-featured?

Reply #7
Yes.

korth

Reply #8
Cool. Thanks again.

Reply #9
So, is there a "Lamedrop" equivalent for FLAC.
Thanks all;
Artie
If you like the simplicity of Lamedrop, there is Flac Drop, which works in pretty much the same way. Equivalently to Lamedrop, you'll have to put FLAC in the same directory or set the path to it