Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Long time present bug with pasting to playlist (Read 2239 times) previous topic - next topic

Long time present bug with pasting to playlist

@Peter ,
We have seen many fundamental changes in v 1.4 betas. I would like to ask for another one. The change in paste command behavior. Of course we talk about usage of default user interface and built-in playlist viewer.

This was already pointed out in the past and not only by me. The way that pasting of tracks into playlist works is bit odd. Tracks are pasted always ABOVE the selected track, while they should be obviously pasted BELOW selected track.
To let you know what I mean I will describe worst case scenario that happens quite often here, showing how ridiculous is current track pasting behavior:
Let's assume I have two playlist - one named "Source" and other named "Destination". "Source" is an autoplaylist containing whole library and has 10 000 tracks. "Destination" is just a recent selection of what I like at the moment and initially contains 10 tracks - they fit on screen perfectly and there is free space below tracks. Now I decided to copy 30 tracks from "Source" and paste them at the end of "Destination". Easy - I click somewhere on free space below those 10 tracks, press "Ctrl+V" and everything is fine. Clicking on free space causes that no track on "Destination" playlist is selected so everything goes easy. BUT... here complication may start. Most probably those 40 tracks (initial 10 + 30 copied) from "Destination" playlist will not fit in the window anymore (at least not on mine). And after some time of playing, skipping and clicking I decided to add another 10 tracks to "Destination". Of course - at the very end, as previously. So, what I have to do is to move my playlist cursor from current position to the end and click "Ctrl+V" one more time. But this time those 10 track would not be pasted at the very end of "Destination" playlist but instead ABOVE the last track on that playlist - the one that became selected when moving cursor to the end. So I need to manually move those tracks to make them appear at the real end of the tracklist. And this is pure nonsense. It has no logic explanation - I've never seen such option as "paste next to the last" in any software, especially as a default behavior. Because I've learned that broken behavior of foobar I often had slight problems in work, when editing some PPT presentations - MS PowerPoint never pastes slides above current slide, but below it, as everybody would normally expect - but not me, taught by foobar's "I always paste above current element" broken behavior :/.

Could this be fixed in 1.4 final and thus could foobar paste tracks ALWAYS BELOW SELECTED element on playlist?

PS:
I think about some OPTIONAL small quirk if one would like to paste his/hers tracks exactly at the top of playlist, as it is possible right now, when foobar pastes tracks above selected track - a small free space between column header and first track. This could have 1/4 or 1/5 height of a track entry on playlist. If you click on it ("select it") and then paste tracks - they will be pasted below that free space and thus above first track on playlist.

Re: Long time present bug with pasting to playlist

Reply #1
a small free space between column header and first track. This could have 1/4 or 1/5 height of a track entry on playlist
IMHO, it is better to preserve current behavior and maybe to add small free space after the last track, so it will be possible to click here when a playlist is full and there is no free space after the last track now.

Reply #2
Current behavior is inconsistent with general logic and with what can be generally found in software, where you can perform any paste operation relative to focused element. The fact that you can not simply paste at the very end of tracklist when last element is selected is a big nonsense. You can imagine what you would say, if Windows XP Explorer would display newly pasted files not totally after existing ones, but before the last one instead. Expecting that you can somehow append current list (paste after last element) is something obvious.

Anyway - your solution is still better than what is currently observed in foobar since I think at least v 0.8.3 (first one which I used).

Reply #3
There are some non obvious features which should help you mitigate this:
  • Hold shift while pasting to forcibly paste at the end of playlist. This is hinted about in the statusbar when mouse hovering over 'paste' so it's not that hidden.
  • Shift+Ctrl+Up/Down reorders the current playlist, moving the currently selected block up/down. If invoked right after paste, it will move the pasted items around.
Anyway, I think I'll make the paste command sensitive to which area of an item was clicked, to provide a more obvious way to paste at the end without keyboard use.

Edit: There's also drag&drop... drag from source playlist (an auto playlist), hover over the destination playlist tab to switch playlists, get to the bottom, drop. It always lets you choose the exact drop location.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Hi Peter,
Thank you for your comment. Still I would be glad if simple "Ctrl+V" would paste new tracks always below selected item om playlist. Even when we are NOT talking about always/only trying to paste at the end. I discussed "at the end scenario" as the most obvious illustration why current behavior of "Ctrl+V" is weird. My main goal is to see "Ctrl+V" keyboard shortcut pastes always below selected element - no matter if it is 1st element on the playlist, 17th element, 1373rd or the last element.

Regarding "Drag & drop" - call me a dumb, but I hate d&d for most operations. Too many times (on my own and friend's computers) I used little bit damaged mouses (loosing my leftclick while moving), weak optical mouses when working on certain surfaces (often loosing pointer or stopping moving at certain point), totally screwed touchpads, etc. to trust d&d - too many times result was completely inconsistent with my expectations. That's why I also asked for "Add", "Remove", "Up" and "Down" buttons as a spare option for editing chains in DSP manager in 1.4 betas...

Reply #5
Hold shift while pasting to forcibly paste at the end of playlist. This is hinted about in the statusbar when mouse hovering over 'paste' so it's not that hidden.
What about spending a menu item accessible with Shift + right mouse? Like, underneath Paste?

Thank you for your comment. Still I would be glad if simple "Ctrl+V" would paste new tracks always below selected item om playlist.
Then one would have a choice to make: above or below? I guess that most who select the first ("first of many", obviously) would want them pasted on top?

Reply #6
I noticed that manual clicking on an element and then choosing "Paste" indeed differentiates if I clicked upper or lower part of that element. However I don't get why Ctrl+V of bunch of track still doesn't work as pasting a bunch of slides in PowerPoint: below selected element.