Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I created a DSP playback chain preset (Read 1181 times) previous topic - next topic

I created a DSP playback chain preset

I am using DUI.

I have a panel for the Spectrogram visualization and I have customized its color scheme.

In my playlist viewer, I have two tracks of the same song. The tracks have different properties; one is 16/44 ripped from CD, the other is 24/96 ripped from vinyl.

I want to conduct a visual comparison test; view my Spectrogram panel rendering playback of each track.

To achieve a fairly similar spectrogram display for both tracks, I need to process them (using DSP effects) to have the same technical properties;
create a DSP playback chain using (1) SoX resampler (foo_dsp_resampler) and (2) R128Norm (foo_r128norm) .
I configure the SoX resampler to process the tracks to 44100 Hz and Best quality .
R128Norm has no configuration options; I'm assuming it is normalizing the track to 0dB peak (please correct me if I'm wrong) .

I create a DSP Preset and name it "Spectrogram Comparison".

I start my playback fun ... I activate the Spectrogram viewing panel ... I hold the SHIFT key and go to "Playback > DSP settings" and there is my Preset ....

Ermmm... ummmm.... mmmmm..... chin scratching.... I see a bullet character next to my Preset ....Is that a toggle?

I hold the SHIFT key and go to "Playback > DSP settings" and click on my Preset...

I hold the SHIFT key and go to "Playback > DSP settings" and click on my Preset again...

WTF !!!!??? ..... nothing changes ..... There is no toggle functionality; the Preset has added itself to the main menu purely as a decorative text object !!!!!!

What is the point of creating playback DSP Presets in foobar2000?

******************* E D I T *******************

OK, I figured out how to toggle it.

You need to ALSO create another Preset and name it something like Default (No DSPs are active)

Default (No DSPs are active) is a dud; it contains no DSP; it just gives you a way of toggling.

IMHO, that Preset should come into existence without need to be created by the user.
There is absolutely no need for anybody who uses foobar2000 to go through the chin-scratching exercise
I just went through.

Sometimes I wish every Preference page in foobar2000 had a button named Notes.
If you clicked on this button you could create a few notes for yourself for this Preferences page.
A roll-your-own help system . . . total empowerment to the user . . . . it's a nice user-land dream!