Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Pro Windows Media Player Support (Read 5478 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Pro Windows Media Player Support

Hello guys! I would like to know if MP3 Pro is already natively fully recognized on the most recent versions of Windows Media Player.

I'm using Windows Media Player 9 Series with Windows XP, and I would like to know if you have any information about an already built-in support for MP3 Pro codec on more recent Windows Media Player versions, like 10, 11, etc.

So they would play an MP3 file with full Sampling Rate.

I'm talking about native support without the needing to download any additional software.

The reason of my question is because I'm creating a web radio streamed embedded and, as on each listener/user there may be a different version of Windows Media Player, I'd like to know if on the most recent ones they would listen the MP3 Pro encoded streams in full Sampling Rate, in other words with 100% support, or only half Sampling Rate, as it is the case on Windows Media Player 9 Series.

Reply #1
WMP11 on WinXP: no it doesn't. WMP12 works only on Windows7 so I cannot install it.

By the way: what software do you use to create MP3Pro?

Reply #2
I'm using an already built-in encoder for SAM Broadcaster for streaming web radios.

Reply #3
I though development/support for the mp3pro codec was dropped years ago?

Reply #5
It's reasonable to assume that MP3 Pro is an extermely good encoder for using on low bitrates (48Kbps, 32Kbps, etc.) due to it's backwards half-compatibility with mp3 and the fact that not every computer has aac, wma pro, ogg, etc. support.

But the backwards compatibility with MP3 makes it worthwile for streaming. Streaming at 32Kbps/44KHz with MP3 Pro on a Windows Media Player that has not support for Pro, so the music would be heard as 32Kbps/22KHz, sounded WAY better than a Stream with MP3 using the latest Lame ACM or another MP3 non-Pro encoder with the same config (Mono, 32Kbps, 22KHz).

Reply #6
Streaming at 32Kbps/44KHz with MP3 Pro on a Windows Media Player that has not support for Pro, so the music would be heard as 32Kbps/22KHz, sounded WAY better than a Stream with MP3 using the latest Lame ACM or another MP3 non-Pro encoder with the same config (Mono, 32Kbps, 22KHz).

TOS #8!