Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 stuttering (Read 4305 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 stuttering

Hi

I'm using FooBar2000 to play audio tracks on a P111 500 mhz 256mb ram machine.  I find that most of the time it plays just fine, however it sometimes starts to 'stutter'.  Have tried to stop all other programmes, think it might be AVG anti virus having a look aroung the pc and using system resources.
Can the buffer be adjusted to stop this 'stutter' happening?  If so by what increments would you advise.  Also, any thing else I should check?

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #1
try raising the buffer size

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #2
Hi,

I moved the slider to max and restarted the programme to make sure it took effect.  Didn't make any difference.  Can this be over done?  Should I have made small changes?

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #3
What kind of file did u play when it starts to stutter?
Some audio formats need more resource than the others to be decoded.

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #4
I've got M4a's.  They all play fine - but then they can all stutter every now and again.  Me thinks the 10 year old pc might need a new sound card?

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #5
Don't really know...I have a PIII 600MHz that plays OFR just fine w/ fb2k.
Anyway, regarding stutters, it might also be caused of PCI activity.
(or IRQ conflicts? o.O Beats me...)
I have an onbard sound chip that will stutter when playing back any kind of file whenever I start using my internal PCI dial-up modem to dial my ISP.

Other, more enlightened, members of HA might be able to help you on this.
I can only help as far as to what may cause the stutters.
(and it might not even be correct, and I still don't know how to fix my case of stuttering... =/)

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #6
Thanks for the exchange of ideas sh1leshk4.  Will check what else shares the irq with my PCI sound card.  Have found the FooBar forum (probably where I sould have posted this in the first place!)  Seems the mixer can be turned off.  Maybe try that.  Think this is probably a hardware problem.  Will keep mucking about until I fix it.

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #7
Would u mind providing a list of the settings you use for playback? Are they the defaults that comes right out of the box on installation?

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #8
Try different output modes and make sure that you're increasing buffer in the correct one. Also, try rising playback thread priority if it's not on its max. Are there any CPU-hungry DSPs activated? As a last resort you could try to change process priority class and full file buffering. If it won't help the problem is not related to fb2k probably.

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #9
I think this might have nothing to do w/ fb2k too.
The stutters I experienced was on a PC w/ a P4 1.7GHz, but not on a PIII 600MHz.
Both were tested playing the same OFR file.
And the stutter occurs only when I dial my ISP using an internal PCI-based modem on the 1.7GHz PC.
Seems like the modem's taking over the bus for awhile 'cause the OFR's decoded but no sound's coming through.
Probably 'cause of the cheap mobo I'm using. =/

edit :
Both PC use an onbard sound processor, btw.
But the 600MHz PC doesn't have an internal PCI modem installed; it has a NIC instead.
Different mobo manufacturer too.
So I'm not really sure if the cause is hardware configuration specific or hardware manufacturer specific.

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #10
mine 'stutters' too when i have the directsound buffer length all the way down. i have the buffer length at 500ms and there's no stuttering. you can use the buffer length for directsound and directsound 2.5.

you might also try using a bigger number in the file buffer (in playback). i have mine set to 512 (KB) just for the sake of buffering. you can use a higher number than that if you wish.

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #11
i get stuttering always with beta when i close foobar2000 without stopping the audio first?

foobar2000 stuttering

Reply #12
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']@Nipper[/span]
Try playing those M4A on another player such as Winamp.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](just use the classic skin; I've tried Winamp 5.094 on a PII 450MHz and it worked fine)[/span]
If the stutter's still there, then it's probably hardware related.
If not, then it's probably fb2k's fault.
Which version are u using?

edit :
Btw, my stutter occurs both on fb2k and Winamp.
I'm pretty sure it's something to do w/ my hardware.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](I've tinkered w/ the buffer and priority settings w/ no luck, so, yeah...)[/span]