Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Small annoyance in the default converter settings (Read 3204 times) previous topic - next topic

Small annoyance in the default converter settings

Peter, can you please make the default setting page this way in the next version of foobar2000? It's nothing, just a small annoyance, sorting and 2-3 settings.

Thanks.

Re: Small annoyance in the default converter settings

Reply #1
You mean make the quick convert codec list sorted by codec name by default?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Peter, yes sorted alphabetically and sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Also please add AAC (FDK) in the list.

And I changed/suggested Ogg Vorbis default at 128 and Opus at 96. I see that the recommended settings for transparency are still 160 for Ogg Vorbis and 128 for Opus so that's up to you.

Thanks.

Reply #3
Peter, another thing, in the Opus encoder, in the advanced settings (Edit) - Display - Settings:, it always shows VBR for every setting, can you please change that as well to make it more precise. In other words, I know which encoder settings I am saving and selecting from the list but I always want to double check I didn't make any errors selecting the correct one. I know I can and they are modified manually now but I rather see that in the default installation. Thanks.

Reply #4
in the Opus encoder, in the advanced settings (Edit) - Display - Settings:, it always shows VBR for every setting
I can also see 'CBR' or 'constrained VBR' in encoder settings.

Reply #5
Just a bit wording concern. Change "Commandline" to "Command-line", Command-Line, or "Command Line" maybe?

Reply #6
in the Opus encoder, in the advanced settings (Edit) - Display - Settings:, it always shows VBR for every setting
I can also see 'CBR' or 'constrained VBR' in encoder settings.
My English man ! ...what I mean is you only see VBR/CBR/constrained VBR and not the actual setting number or bitrate like all the other codecs are setup.

Reply #7
I'm sorry but I can't reproduce wrong Opus mode being shown. Can you please post pictures? Thanks.

Reply #8
Not wrong, just incomplete, even if it shows just the bitrate instead of the setting (VBR 64, VBR 96, VBR 128...) it would be helpful in the other page if multiple options are saved:

Opus 96:

Opus 128:

Reply #9
So you want
"Opus - 128 kbps - VBR 128"
instead of the current
"Opus - 128 kbps - VBR"
?
Looks redundant.

Reply #10
That's why the title says it's just a small annoyance, it's not necessary, it would be helpful, if the bitrate can be written there automatically every time you change it, why not? Please let Peter decide, I've asked about small things like this one many times.

Reply #11
Peter, did you change what the tag %album artist% does recently? From what I remember it didn't use to write %artist% if %album artist% was unavailable but now it does, and this is awesome and it completely make my full string I came up last year for my converting settings unnecessary now (it's only job was to write %artist% when %album artist% wasn't available and vice versa).

Since my English is what it is... example:

%album artist% - %date% %title%

Two Albums to convert:
Test - 1999 Test
VA (with Test in the %artist% tag) - 1999 Test

Results:

Test - 1999 Test
VA - 1999 Test

Correct? If this is the case, again, it's awesome.

Reply #12
Dude it's been already one hour? Anyway, can't modify and I just read this "Name of the artist of the album specified track belongs to. Checks following metadata fields, in this order: “album artist”, “artist”, “composer”, “performer”. The difference between this and %artist% is that %album artist% is intended for use where consistent value across entire album is needed even when per-track artists values vary." and it answers all my question about the tag. I don't know if this was changed recently but it works wonderfully.

Reply #13
No, it wasn't changed recently. It's been there ever since I started dabbling with foobar2000 well over 10 years ago and was probably built-in from the beginning.

Reply #14
Yeah sorry for that, I am always super busy so sometimes I have more time to play around stuff and discover simple things that didn't notice earlier and get me excited, that's another reason I come every now and then and I post 10 different things I try to change then I disappear again for few months.

Reply #15
In fact, I have another request, right click on an audio file inside foobar2000 > Convert > Long list of unscrollable settings other than with a left click in the bottom arrow. Peter, is there a way you can enable the mouse scroll button there?

Using this to test: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104627.msg945379.html#new

Thanks.

Reply #16
OK, loading up your converter config was an interesting experience.

How about just not showing saved presets in the right click menu when their amount exceeds 20 or so? Then you go straight to the properly scrollable view by using "..." command.

I'm also making other adjustments to make working with extremely long preset lists less tedious.

Reply #17
Eh, I kind of like it that long loading up all the way but in truth, I don't use that one, my config has like 4-6 settings, that one was made for few friends and relatives but other liked it so I kept adding. You do what you think it's best.

Reply #18
Peter, one more "bug", I just tried the default installation of foobar2000 + the Free Converter Pack without any addons, no iTunes libraries etc. and when I try to convert to Apple Lossless it doesn't work, I think foobar2000 is looking for qaac even if the Converter File is configured with "qaac.exe;qaac64.exe;refalac.exe;refalac64.exe". There should be a way to still convert with refalac (standalone) automatically and without changing any settings if one doesn't want to add the iTunes libraries.

Also refalac doesn't need all these parameters set for qaac, my suggestion is to just make another setting called (Apple Lossless (refalac)).

Optionally, you could add, in the Advanced Encoder Setting, the option to create a CAF file (--caf) for both qaac and refalac ...optionally.

Reply #19
But it can't play or tag CAF files?

Reply #20
eahm, you aren't supposed to install qaac if you can't use it. That way refalac is used for ALAC encoding without requiring any additional presets.

Reply #21
WTF, I'm retarded, I forgot about the checkbox ...sorry for wasting your time, I used to be muuuch sharper but I'm going through some weird stuff and I work too much.

Reply #22
Peter, what does the Converter do/changed in 1.3.17 beta 1? Can't understand what changed.

About the other "feature", I take there is no way to scroll down with the mouse middle roller button right?

Thanks.

Reply #23
Let me add "Converter: Made format list sorting remembered.", how does this help if you want to keep a long list sorted alphabetically?

Thanks.