Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I create a playlist in Foobar2000 (Read 14882 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I create a playlist in Foobar2000

People, don't know if I'm dumb or just uneducated but I can not figure out how to create a playlist from Foobar2000. The library is there and I can select and play a song but creating a playlist eludes me.

Re: How do I create a playlist in Foobar2000

Reply #1
Hey there, foobar is sometimes not the most intuitive compared to other music players... :)

Firstly to make use of playlists it helps to have either Playlist Tabs or a Playlist Manager in your layout. You can access the pop-up version by View menu > Playlist Manager but that way is not ideal.

To make a playlist from the Library, you can right-click on the Artist / Album / Tracks you want > select Send to New Playlist. Or to make a brand new empty playlist, just hit File menu > New Playlist. Once you switch to that playlist (automatic) or start playing from it, it becomes the active playlist. Then you can right-click other items > Add to Current Playlist. You can also left-click hold and drag items to a playlist. You can also right-click copy/paste items as well. Finally, right-click on the playlist name in the Tab / Manager gives you options to rename and save, etc.

There are also Auto-Playlists which automatically add and update new tracks that appear in your library according to the defined search parameters. You cannot add specific tracks to these playlists, rather you just tell it what to add and it keeps things up-to-date for you. (I find it easier to manage Auto-Playlists if you are using a plug-in component like Facets)

Hope that helps 8)

Reply #2
Library -> Search
In media library search window search whatever you want to make a playlist out of.
Select ... button on the right.
Create playlist or autoplaylist. Autoplaylist will dynamically update according to your search parameter.

Reply #3
Here is what I want to do:

Create different playlists like "Favorite Jazz Tracks", "Easy Listening", "Favorite Songs By Led Zeppelin", etc.

In iTunes all I had to do was create a new playlist, name it, and drag songs from my library to the new playlist. Easy peasy.

I followed the instructions posted by anamorphic and all I get is a new playlist for every song. So if I want favorite rock songs playlist with 10 tracks, all I can get is 10 separate playlists with one track each. There is no "add to current playlist" option when I right click on a track. The only options I have are "send to selection playlist", "send to new playlist", and "send to new autoplaylist". None of these will add multiple songs to a playlist. This is extremely frustrating. Foobar is such a fantastic program I can't believe it is so difficult to accomplish what should be a simple task. What am I doing wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Foobar2000 version 1.4.2.

Reply #4
In iTunes all I had to do was create a new playlist, name it, and drag songs from my library to the new playlist.
It is the same procedure.

Right-click the tab control that shows the "Default" playlist, and choose "Add new playlist", then "Rename". Go to Album List or another playlist, make a selection of one or more tracks and drag them over the header of the newly created playlist. If it is not already in foreground, it will be focused after a second. Release the mouse to drop the tracks and add them to new playlist.

Reply #5
Thanks j7n.

Reply #6
Choose GUI: "Simple playlists + tabs" then it's easy:

1. Click file

2. Click new playlist

3. Click file

4. Click add folder

5. Click select folder

6. Click file

7. Click save playlist

8. Type playlist name

9. Click save

Reply #7
^ Most people use the Album List or other library viewer - 1 or 2 clicks to select and start playing / make a new playlist. A lot more efficient. ;)

Reply #8
Choose GUI: "Simple playlists + tabs" then it's easy:

1. Click file

2. Click new playlist

3. Click file

4. Click add folder

5. Click select folder

6. Click file

7. Click save playlist

8. Type playlist name

9. Click save

Why dig up and reply to a year old thread that's already been abundantly answered?