Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any Nightwish Fans out there? (Read 5400 times) previous topic - next topic

Any Nightwish Fans out there?

well, if you hang out here on HA, i'm assuming you know how dynamically compressed Once and Century Child is (and likely Oceanborn -- i haven't looked at a track from that album yet), or at least how "hot" the recording is...

i was wondering if the DVD Audio suffered from the same thing, or if it was cleaner and didn't slap against the 0dB mark. anyone? if it IS indeed better, i'm thinking of buying it (not that i'd be happy doing so, i just want the best sounding Nightwish albums).

well, Once doesn't sound too bad. i just recall Century Child not having the "cleanest" sounding mix...

p.s. sad news, tarja being split from the band

Reply #1
well, if you hang out here on HA, i'm assuming you know how dynamically compressed Once and Century Child is (and likely Oceanborn -- i haven't looked at a track from that album yet), or at least how "hot" the recording is...

i was wondering if the DVD Audio suffered from the same thing, or if it was cleaner and didn't slap against the 0dB mark.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since DVD-audio is 24 bit instead of 16 bit, it should in theory have a considerably larger dynamic range. However, 16 bit is already quite good, and I doubt the usefulness of 24 bit audio. It may very well make no practical difference at all.

well, Once doesn't sound too bad. i just recall Century Child not having the "cleanest" sounding mix...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337192"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Funny, I don't like the mixing and mastering of 80% of my gothic metal albums, and Nightwish in particular (I still like the music, though ). They often sound like a dense wall of sound and I quickly get boared of this. However, this appears to be a matter of taste; some people say it's ought to be that way. Edit: [a href="http://georgegraham.com/compress.html]this article[/url] is very instructive in this respect. In summary, mastering engineers often use only a tiny fraction of the 90dB dynamic range of a 16-bit audio CD, because they think the product will sell better this way. Consequently, I don't think a DVD-audio version will sound any different. You don't have to change the medium, but the mentality of the people that are responsible for what's on it .

Reply #2
Consequently, I don't think a DVD-audio version will sound any different. You don't have to change the medium, but the mentality of the people that are responsible for what's on it .
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i don't think so either, but i'm ASSuming at least some DVD-A audio recordings are mixed "better" than their CDDA counterparts (i don't really research things i can't afford or invest much in; only things i'm about to buy). and it was my hope that someone here liked Nightwish enough to own the DVD-A and report on whether it was a better mix or just the same thing in a more expensive package... i guess not

Reply #3
On the extracted 5.1 24bit 48khz PCM of the DVD-A disc,  I get -6.07Db track gain. Same for the AC3 5.1 version.
On the Platin Edition (CD-Audio) of the same album, I get -9.44Db.

This is for the track "Ghost Love Score". Not that the differences may be there because of the difference in channel numbers.

Personally I think this DVD-Audio disc is the worst one I checked so far (others being Iron Maiden Dance of Death, Frank Zappa Quaudiophiliac and Linkin Park Reanimation (!!!)).

But that may be becase there's not much actual sorround content on the album - it doesn't sound much better then the regular CD in foobar using channel mixer.

A question though, can you tell me how big is the album (as in, total used bytes on the disc). The copy I have is a one-layer version with a 5.1 hires DVD-Audio soundtrack, and a 5.1 and stereo AC3 on the DVD-Video part (embedded into menus).

Reply #4
A question though, can you tell me how big is the album (as in, total used bytes on the disc). The copy I have is a one-layer version with a 5.1 hires DVD-Audio soundtrack, and a 5.1 and stereo AC3 on the DVD-Video part (embedded into menus).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339520"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the Nuclear Blast version (fuck the riaa label version) is 1h 00m 06s 26f as an image in EAC. 606.68mb... 11 tracks and doesn't have 12) White Night Fantasy and 13) Live to Tell the Tale .. but i have those on the cd singles anyways

does that answer the question?

On the extracted 5.1 24bit 48khz PCM of the DVD-A disc,  I get -6.07Db track gain. Same for the AC3 5.1 version.
On the Platin Edition (CD-Audio) of the same album, I get -9.44Db.

Personally I think this DVD-Audio disc is the worst one I checked so far (others being Iron Maiden Dance of Death, Frank Zappa Quaudiophiliac and Linkin Park Reanimation (!!!)).[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339520"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

damn, and i just ordered it, too. hope it'll play in WinDVD 6