Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does AAC use Joint Stereo or is that just for mp3s? (Read 4816 times) previous topic - next topic

Does AAC use Joint Stereo or is that just for mp3s?

Hello,

I'm a new user to HA. I have an iPod nano that I would like to maximize the battery life on, and I figure AAC will give me the best quality for about 128 kbps.

I'm using the latest Nero AAC encoder with foobar2000. I'm converting the FLACs I have to -q 0.4 AACs. Everything is working well, but when I look at the results in iTunes, I only get stereo files. I have been lurking around here long enough that I know that Joint Stereo is better. Am I doing something wrong, or does Nero AAC-LC only use stereo?

Does AAC use Joint Stereo or is that just for mp3s?

Reply #1
AAC (unlike MP3) has the ability to switch between LR/MS on a per band instead of a per frame basis. So AAC is normally always "joint stereo".