Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I need to backup files & folders to CD or DVD (Read 2933 times) previous topic - next topic

I need to backup files & folders to CD or DVD

I've got a lot of stuff I would like to backup this weekend and need help replacing CDBurnerXP. Anyone who has been on a computer a while knows it was great software, until the last three years or so. It is a mess these days.

I'm not interested in backing up drives, automated services, or cloud services. I need to backup files and folders from my hard drives to optical, and that's it. If it can make music CDs, that's great too.

Thanks.

Re: I need to backup files & folders to CD or DVD

Reply #1
imgburn, nero express 5* oem, burnaware free...

Reply #2
I've used imgburn for a long, long time. It is effective when writing images to a disc or creating images from a disc. I cannot imagine using it for backing up files and folders—the UI just isn't where it would need to be.

CDBurnerXP seems to have some sort of self-destruct function allowing it to burn a few discs before becoming incapable of recognizing optical media at all.

I bought the nero software once. It seems tailored for hardware enthusiasts, and offers a Swiss Army knife package I just don't want or need.

I will look at burnaware. I hope it is not crippled unless you shell out the $40 to find out if it works.

Reply #3
cdrtfe is very good.

Reply #4
cdrtfe is very good.
Thank you for sharing that link!

I've burned a few backup discs with BurnAware Free. The UI is a bit Spartan, compared to CDBurnerXP, but at least the software works! I really like the ability to create new folders in a new compilation, then drag items into the new folder. Drag and drop from File Explorer seems to be the best way to build a compilation. In the end, I'm just delighted to have something that is actually backing up my files, and not turning my blank discs into coasters.

cdrtfe has a UI that looks more familiar. I assume I can install it as well, without issue.

I understand that these types of questions irk kids working in IT—I'm surprised no one has shot back a Google search barb. I looked around before posting (although I did forget to keyword "open source." I have a full time job that keeps me off the computer most of the time, and have lost all touch with development trends since my college days.

Which means "Thanks for the suggestions!"

In hindsight (which becomes clearer the more discs I burn successfully with OTHER software), CDBurnerXP became a vehicle for adware and malware a few years back. While you can stop it from installing crap—provided you pay attention—it has not seen much actual development effort in many years. CDBurnerXP exists to install browser extensions and the like. I stuck with it because it was familiar, but it is a genuine turd of an application, compared to what I've seen today.

Reply #5
CDburnXP do have 'clean' versions and I used it occasionally for years without issue.. The issue is that no one want to pay anything while assuming auto intitlement to get it all for free. It is a delusion IMO. This has eroded and will eventually destroy 'middle-class' software & desktop computing -  leaving us with with dead projects, incompetent software etc.. While the mega corporates benefit all the way from their adware / privacy buggy 'cloud' solutions. Indeed the corporates are funders for major FOSS projects.

Reply #6
to optical
this is hugely impractical and also not good for environment in the long term AFAIK, better just get a few cheap HDDs and use them
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #7
Trojan.Encoder

Reply #8
to optical
this is hugely impractical and also not good for environment in the long term AFAIK, better just get a few cheap HDDs and use them
Agreed; it isn't exactly the speediest way of doing things either. How large is the total amount of data you are backing up?

Reply #9
How bout bluray
Why not other media?
Always consider what will be easiest to access in decade or two. SATA ports? USB ports? Optical drives?

Reply #10
Keep a few drives at hand. I don't see an immediate problem - perhaps a longer term one. You can still get a 1.44 usb floppy drive.
Optical media is  underrated. I never had issues with cd-r   / dvd-+r - (verbatim  / tdk in their proper cases).  Discs still work 10..15 yrs later. Never lost a whole disc but certainly lost entire hdd's and flash drives. Worst case was mould in storage that affected half dozen tracks out of thousands . Added 'bonus' your backups are read-only which makes them more robust. Yes you can do similar with ntfs permissions but still. .. Capacity is the main issue, better with blue ray but no evolving and its no longer 'cool' with this generation. HDD is okay for daily or regular backup /  use. for archiving its so-so; its okay for non critical stuff but no cool things like inserts / labels  - you need POST IT note.. For critical you need again 2 or more HDD's.

Reply #11
If you are going to save files on optical disc then you should use software that adds more error correction, such as dvdisaster.

Reply #12
I usually just use the Finder or File Explorer for burning data on a CD or DVD. Works fine for most things.

Reply #13
I have an extensive music collection, and primarily backup my MP3s as I create them. I'm not backing up entire drives in one shot—that would be insane. I archive to optical disc as I create new MP3s, which may be one backup DVD disc or several at a shot. Right now, a complete copy of the collection exists on three different hard drives. I've found that BurnAware free works fine for what I do.

I have optical discs some 20 years old that work fine. When I started doing this, we only had the little CDR discs—not even DVDR. Whatever is on an optical disc is also on a HDD, somewhere. As those HDD fill up, and are replaced by larger capacity drives, the old ones also serve as archives.

All of which is to say the BurnAware free and DVDR media work great for what I do. After six months, I just wanted to say I am very satisfied with the program, and appreciate m14u's recommendation.