Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: high quality headphones with sound isolation? (Read 3305 times) previous topic - next topic

high quality headphones with sound isolation?

i have hi fi system marantz mcr 502 with speakers
i can listen the music on my hifi just with headphones because i live in a building
that has a very,very bad sound isolation (i don t think that it could be worse than this)
my flat is on the second  floor and i can hear everything what they are speaking beneath and above me and inversely ,
so i have big problem when watching tv after 22 ,
the neighbour above me always bangs to the flooring because the noise from my room
and then i must turn down the volume on the tv or mostly stop to watch
mostly i listen :rock,blues,jazz,classic,electronic
i wanted to order headphones sennheiser hd 598 (the city where i live in croatia hasn t any shops whit sennheiser headphones so i just can order it)
but i bought 2 years before sennheiser hd 380 pro headphones
and they have had a very bad sound isolation,when i connected them to my hifi system
and when i started to listen to music with them ,the sound isolation was so bad that my neigbour above has banged the flooring and i needed to end listening to music,
so some guys that have those sennheiser hd 598 headphones told me that if i buy such headphones, that i will have with them problems with the sound isolation too,
so i wanted to ask you people on the forum can anyone recommend me headphones
that have the same high quality sound like sennheiser hd 598(and the price should be similar) but have also great sound isolation so that people near me can t hear the music and that i don t have anymore problems with my neighbour,
i would listening with those headphones music just on my hifi system and i would want that those headphones have 3 meters cable
can anyone suggest me the perfect headphones for me ??

Reply #1
You need IEMs. Full stop.

My personal pick is Etymotics; lots of other people like Shures; there are lots of options at your price point. I personally would be strongly partial to those two manufacturers because they have been in the IEM field the longest, and there is a tremendous amount of discussion of their products on sites like Head-Fi (which I strongly recommend you study).

Note, depending on the sensitivity of the headphones you get, you may uncover noise problems with your audio setup you never knew existed -- this is fairly common, but it is something you may need to watch out for budget-wise.

Reply #2
Give IEMs a try, I currently have Westone UM3X and had UM2s until I broke them. With the right tips you forget about the outside world completely

Reply #3
I think some institution needs to isolate your neighbor instead, if he's complaining about hearing your headphone noise. Can he really hear it?

Reply #4
I think some institution needs to isolate your neighbor instead, if he's complaining about hearing your headphone noise. Can he really hear it?

+1

Reply #5
I have a Sennheiser HD 280 PRO and it works very well. Someone can stand right next to me and he/she won't hear anything from it.
On a negative side, the cable is very short curly type cable.

The Sennheiser HD 448 also looks nice, but I am not sure how it compares with the HD 280 PRO with sound leakage.

Reply #6
If in-ear phones are among the choices, I can recommend Bowers & Wilkens C5.
Apart from the great sound and the very practical concept of how they fit into your ear, they can be used for hours without bothering you. Probably this is due to a special filter design which doesn't isolate you totally from your environment (no fear though: your neighbor won't hear you).
In a sense they are the best of two worlds: the great sound IEMs can have, without (at least partially) the negative sides of wearing them.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17