Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Wikipedia article comparing audio formats (Read 4778 times) previous topic - next topic

The Wikipedia article comparing audio formats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of..._coding_formats . I guess this is the place to ask if the information is correct and current, when it comes to lossless formats. In particular:

- Does Monkey's Audio actually support multichannel by now, as the article claims? And is its latency "insignificant" compared to the others' ranges?
- Is there any implementation of 32-bit FLAC files? (Otherwise, maybe a footnote would be appropriate.)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of..._system_support for Android seems to be taken from what the  OS itself supports, and that does not include WavPack.  But doesn't an out-of-the-box POV mean this is an apples and andr... oranges comparison? ("Windows" does not support FLAC except those 10 betas?) There are WavPack-capable players for Android.

Reply #1
No, Monkey's Audio supports only mono and stereo. From MAC_SDK_416.zip\Source\MACLib\APECompressCreate.cpp:
Code: [Select]
    // verify the wave format
    if ((pwfeInput->nChannels != 1) && (pwfeInput->nChannels != 2))
    {
        return ERROR_INPUT_FILE_UNSUPPORTED_CHANNEL_COUNT;
    }

About latency: from that file:
Code: [Select]
    m_nSamplesPerFrame = 73728;
    if (nCompressionLevel == COMPRESSION_LEVEL_EXTRA_HIGH)
        m_nSamplesPerFrame *= 4;
    else if (nCompressionLevel == COMPRESSION_LEVEL_INSANE)
        m_nSamplesPerFrame *= 16;
73728 samples is 1.67 seconds of CD audio, So the latency IS significant (if I understand it correctly...).
And for insane compression level (and CD audio) the latency is up to 26.75 seconds. It seems that for decoding, the max. value of samples per frame is 73728*4 = 6,7 seconds of CD audio.

OTOH, I can't find the restriction for samplerate (1–655350 Hz in the table).

Reply #2
The very first table ("General Information about Audio Compression Formats - creator/company, license/price etc")

"Music reproduction (consumer audio)" column: most values are either "Yes" or "No", bit there are two "Music archival" values: for ALAC and APE. (wtf?)

Reply #3
I wonder if, apart from the source code, anyone could come up with a linkable reference to it so that some willing HA member can correct the entry whilst citing the source, as per Wikipedia's contribution policy.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #4
I wonder if, apart from the source code, anyone could come up with a linkable reference to it so that some willing HA member can correct the entry whilst citing the source, as per Wikipedia's contribution policy.

Could you cite this thread?

Reply #5
Does Monkey's Audio support streaming at all? If not, then its latency doesn't matter.
The latency value doesn't make sense for purely archival formats.

So maybe it's better to write "non-streamable", "no streaming support" or something like this.

Reply #6
Could you cite this thread?
Under WP:RS, no. Despite our continued involvement in formal testing, rags like The Mary Sue attain RS status but places that actually advance understanding are sidelined.

Wikipedia is a bureaucratic joke; it's best that people start treating it as such.

Reply #8
Can't one then just delete from the table all the cells that do not have a citation? 

Given it is blatant misinformation (and the  ad hoc lack of reliable sources that ensues)  I think the best course of action is indeed something along those lines.

Had I enough free time, I'd honestly do it myself.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução