Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphones (Read 14193 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphones

Reply #25
You're limiting yourself to Best Buy?

I think a better policy would be to find a place which allows you to listen, and then return if you're not happy.  I think headroom (headroom.headphone.com) will allow you to do this.

ff123

Well that's the only store that sells stuff like that here. The Wiz was driven outta business, and there are no good electronics stores here. I can return to best buy, they always let me    They seem to have some good  Sennheiser ones there.

Headphones

Reply #26
What about these? I'm trying to find something here, since I completely object to buying stuff online(credit card, shipping charge/time, not knowing what it is) unless it's something I can't find in stores anywhere.

I would rather get Koss or Sennheiser. And the best sellers are online. And it has it's advantages: no sales tax, better selection, better pricing. The only major drawback (you brought it up) would be NOT having a credit card.
Anyway, are there Virgin Megastores in your town?
They sell Sennheisers and usually have a rather decent selection.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Headphones

Reply #27
However, the Sony 7506's (consumer version is the V6) are commonly used by sound engineers (so I'm told), so if you do lots of sound work, maybe those are the way to go.

Yes, but according to what I've read, they are used for recording and tracking, but not for mastering. That is because they are good to detect bad things when recording, because they thend to amplify imperfections, but are not accurate sounding, they quite color the sound. I agree with this appreciation (I own them), but I'm comparing them with more expensive headphones like Sennheiser HD580.

The faults I find in my Sony MDR-7506 is that they are boomy and unnatural sounding, the bass and lower highs are overemphasized, and they are not as "airy" and detailed as the Senns, I guess due to they closed nature. For this reasons, they are not the best option for listening to classical music, but are good for listening to rock music, because they are very dynamic sounding. However, this is all subjective, for other person all this could be somewhat different.

The main advantage of Sony V6/MDR-7506 is that they provide loud sound (they are very sensitive), are robust, and good value for the money, specially the V6. Some people prefer Grado SR-60, some say the Denon are good too. Other commonly used closed headphones are Sennheiser HD250 and HD280, all of them mentioned here. I think it is difficult to form an opinion without actually listening to them for yourself.

Headphones

Reply #28
Read up on the Sony Eggos on Head-Fi.  Though you probably dont want to import, it worked fine for me, and they are awesome closed cans.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Headphones

Reply #29
I've rested on the Sennheiser HD570, good enough for the money I am willing to spend