Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Read 316497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #375
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I seem to have a duplicate set of ports A and B, and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is now missing. Not sure how this happened.

After setting Port A or B as the default MIDI synthesizer and restarting the computer the Microsoft GS Synthesizer tends to disappear for good.

Duplicate set of a and b ports means you reinstalled the application without uninstalling the old one first or you did a feature update for Windows 10 without uninstalling the application first and reinstalled it when it didn't work after the feature update.

In hindsight they're all bugs.

Reply #376
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I seem to have a duplicate set of ports A and B, and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is now missing. Not sure how this happened.

After setting Port A or B as the default MIDI device and restarting the computer the Microsoft GS Synthesizer tends to disappear for good.

Duplicate set of a and b ports means you reinstalled the application without uninstalling the old one first or you did a feature update for Windows 10 without uninstalling the application first and reinstalled it when it didn't work after the feature update.

Thanks for the reply. I can live with not having the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, but the duplicate ports thing kind of bugs me. Is there not some registry value somewhere that stores the contents of that drop-down box which could be edited or deleted? Because obviously, something is hanging around.

Furthermore, out of curiosity, is there no way to correct the missing Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth bug, short of reinstalling Windows? Surely whatever was done can be reversed?

Reply #377

After setting Port A or B as the default MIDI device and restarting the computer the Microsoft GS Synthesizer tends to disappear for good.

Thanks for the reply. I can live with not having the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, but the duplicate ports thing kind of bugs me. Is there not some registry value somewhere that stores the contents of that drop-down box which could be edited or deleted? Because obviously, something is hanging around.

Furthermore, out of curiosity, is there no way to correct the missing Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth bug, short of reinstalling Windows? Surely whatever was done can be reversed?

Honestly I do not know.  Uninstalling the application will result in no default MIDI devices at all on the system (no sound or music in all applications that use the default MIDI synthesizer such as games).  As for the duplicate problem I have no idea how that is fixed.  I'm aware of the bugs and how to avoid them.  The Microsoft GS Wavetable Synthesizer is still there as some applications can actually still access it directly, it just can no longer be set as the default MIDI synthesizer.

Reply #378
Deceptive Default MIDI Device selection control should be removed from the application, especially in Windows 10 and possibly 8.1 and 8.

Please install and use CoolSoft MIDI Mapper instead. You may also find that you save system memory using the CoolSoft driver as well, as its driver is merely a router to a single instance of a user mode application, which holds the instance of BASSMIDI.

Reply #379
A critical bug in the VST MIDI Driver. It seems that VST MIDI Drivers always renders sound with 44100 sample rate, and it ignores the sample rate which was chosen for the current wave output. It is easy to reproduce: Open Playback Devices → right click on your playback device → Properties → Advanced → Default format → Set 96000Hz and apply. Try to listen any MIDI. As the result you will hear a very high pitch sound. VST MIDI Driver has to set VSTi to the same sample rate which is used by the system mixer. It will solve the problem. For example, I always use 48000Hz (because my receiver works much better with this sample rate), this is why I had a bit higher pitch.

Also it seems that VST MIDI Driver doesn't save VSTi settings, like it was in the foo_midi a year ago. It is not critical, because most VSTi MIDI synthesizers can be used with default settings. Just for information.

And... Maybe it will be nice to merge VST MIDI Driver and BASS MIDI Driver, like foo_midi supports both soundfonts and VSTi :) Just an idea.

Reply #380
A new example of a person with this problem: http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/#comment-541
Actually, it is not the first time when people complain about it. Now I just know the reason.

Reply #381
Long time ago it was possible to download VST MIDI Driver here: https://kode54.net/vstmididrv.exe
But now the link is broken. kode54, could you please tell the new link of this driver?